Monday, September 20, 2010

Oh Noooooooooooooooo!

I went to dust my pretty new black table and accidentally have dropped/slid a tray across the top and scratched it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I am so sick right now.  I dabbed some black acrylic paint in the groove which made it not white, but you can still see the scratch.  Any suggestions?????????  :-(






18 comments:

  1. I hate when that happens, but hey I am told it just adds character. My floor and furniture is loaded with character.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wouldn't worry your pretty little self about it - I think it adds character and I would just leave it that way. So much of my furniture is scratched and sometimes it looks better..
    xoxo,
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  3. So something I would do. There is stuff that gets scratches out of wood...my husband bought it at Walgreens I think it is called scratch out...not sure he is not home and I can't find it. It worked, he used it on the bar. I will let you know.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh no. I have a scratch in the poly on my table, too. Did it scratch all the way through the paint? Did you put poly on it? I don't have any suggestions but I feel your pain!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The first scratch is always the hardest! Sharpie marker? It will still show, though. I would go visit a blogger who repaints furniture and ask them- they might have a good solution. Black is always so difficult to stay perfect... not to mention you have to dust it every day (I have a black sofa table & my oldest has black furniture- which was a big mistake!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't help you out. Scratch on wood and paint, I guess you may need to fill with wood puddy and then paint again. Or keep that #@!$% tray over it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh no, Kathryn!!! I have no suggestions, just empathy: Chase scratched one of my new custom amish-made chairs that I've had exactly 5 days. Well, I guess the upside is that your gorgeous table is not supposed to be pristine, and perhaps some well-placed staging will help disguise it. Oh, man, I hope someone has a great solution for you! Bah!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh nooo, is right! I am so sorry for you too! I would be very frustrated as well. I wish I knew what to tell you but I don't have the answer, only sympathy. Any chance you bought it from somewhere like the custom cabinet you had made where they can fix it? Or maybe call someone who makes this type of faux finish furniture to see what they would use. If all else fails, that looks like a great spot to place some table decor!

    ReplyDelete
  9. All I can think of is to sand it a little and repaint the spot/scratch. I can imagine how upset you sre:( XO, Pinky

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ouch! But, I agree with the comments about not sweating it because it adds character. It was bound to happen sooner or later and you can always place something over it since it's not very big. And I don't think it's very noticeable at all. It's still a beautiful table and I can't wait to see how you deck it out for Fall!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Bummer! However, I, too, think it adds character. You should see my wood floors where Jax has dropped many a toy. Ugh. I bet you are the only one who notices. Thanks for your sweet words about my Fall kitchen. You always say the nicest things! What'd you decide about your side table? Hugs, Becca

    ReplyDelete
  12. Bummer! I say get out the sandpaper and make it look intentional to match the distressing it already has! It certainly won't be the last!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh owie! I hate when that happens!
    Try "Scratch Cover" by Pledge, it works pretty well but try not to worry, it gives it that "lived in look".
    If Scratch cover doesn't work just give it a few more scratches and dents to make it look like it supposed to be that way:)
    Hugs girlfriend!
    Terry
    PS its still pretty anyway

    ReplyDelete
  14. Can you sand it a bit and then re-paint?
    That's what this painting newbie suggests! :-)

    Have a wonderful Tuesday!
    Hugs,
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  15. Do not use magic marker- too much difference in sheen. Your table looks to have a matte finish. You can try a furniture pen (sold in hardware or furniture stores) We sell them in our furniture store- they are made by Mohawk. If the scratch was deep, I'd use filler crayon-(again, made by Mohawk), but the scratch appears to only be superficial, so I would probably just buff it out with a little lemon oil and 4X steel wool in ONE DIRECTION ONLY, WITH THE GRAIN OF THE WOOD. Good luck Kathryn. hugs, Sue

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think it's fixable but not without a lot of work :(. I say chalk it up to a character mark.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Kathryn,
    Okay, what are we talking about here? That little scratch? Isn't your table distressed? Or rather, wasn't it distressed at wherever it was made and came from? Well, now it's distressed for real, real life happens and that's the whole idea, so I wouldn't worry about it at all! rub a little waxy shoe polish on it, see if that helps. You should see my stuff - major distressing, everywhere! It's the "distress marks" on my face that I'm not so crazy about!!
    xo
    Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  18. What ever happened here, did you try to get it out?

    ReplyDelete