Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Too match or not to match? That is the question!

So, I just bought a new black, distressed, chippy, round coffee table to go in my new lighter living room!  Now, should I buy a black, distressed, chippy, square end table to go between the new couch and the hubby's leather chair?  Let me have your thoughts ladies!

I am also looking at area rugs.  I really want seagrass, but have heard some say that it is rough on the feet.  I have very delicate tootsies!  Let me know if you have any experience!


By popular demand here are some (unfortunately) lousy pictures!!!  I was trying to not use a flash, but didn't use a tripod so the results are blurry.  I will post some more tomorrow with the sun coming in!



Isn't she pretty?  I think she fits much better here than the ginormous square one I had.


What is that you see?  Yes, I did get some new fall pillows!!!  I will show you these beauties up close when I am all fall-ed out!



They have a square and a round end table that matches that I would put where the big one is now.  



Let me have it and tell me what you think!!!

21 comments:

  1. Well honey we need to see the table and where you are thinking about putting another one...I am a visual person, I can't picture it.:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kathryn, I would probably get something different. Maybe even a light wood table or a glass table to break it up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My thoughts are, let us see! Where's the photos? This is a hard call. When I bought my beautiful black round end tables I did not buy the big round coffee table that went with them. At the time I did not want to be matchy matchy. Now, I kinda wish I had gotten that coffee table. However I am still good with not being matchy matchy! Sorry, I'm no help at all but just thought I'd share my story with ya anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooooh, can't wait to read the responses. (I have nothing to offer.) I just painted two things in my new living room the same color blue and I'm wondering it I was wrong. :-) And what to do with the other tables that are mismatched? This decorating thing is very complicated.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, it will help anchor the coffee table. Can't wait to see it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. No, don't match. It is hard to tell you what to get without seeing a perfect piece though. I do love it though and your fall pillows!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Kathryn!. First, I love the black table! Is the matching one about the same size as the one there now between the soda and leather chair? I'm not usually an advocate for painting nice wood, but what about painting the one you have there now? As far as rugs, I'm kind of a wool, Persian rug kind of person and they feel great and last forever. I have never had seagrass/sisal, but I have heard they are rough. There are alternatives that give that same look but are not so rough. I am nowhere near fall yet this year! How is 4K going?? Cristian is loving his and he starts Spanish class next week. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am liking your new distressed coffee table and lovely fall pillows!

    I tend to be more of a matchy, matchy person with splashes of color or print for accent, so, I would probably get the matching side tables and I think it would tie your room together beautifully!

    I am not familiar with seagrass, but your tootsies comment cracked me up...you are so cute! :)

    Can't wait to see what you decide...I know it will be lovely!

    Liesl :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks great!
    But I'm not a matchy matchy person, so I vote for something a different color.

    Have a wonderful Wednesday!
    Hugs,
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love that coffee table! Me,I'm not very matchy-matchy, so I would probably vary the style of the end table. But, that's just me! LOL. The only experience I've had with a seagrass rug was a bit prickly on the feet....but maybe you could layer something softer on top of the seagrass and still have the effect of the border? Can't wait to see what you decide!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am no expert at all!! I struggle and think it to death in my own home but it seems easier to decide in someone else's home!! I would go with a round end table as the square one seems overwhelming. However, I would get a different table from your coffee table so it isn't matchy matchy!! Maybe an offwhite distressed table. I think a rug with your accent color would look better and be softer than the seagrass. Good luck, girl! It is hard when it is your own space!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well girlfriend, I agree with Debbie, what does the other table look like? I have never been a "matchy-matchy" kinda girl so keeping it eclectic reminds me of a collected look instead of "furniture store set". I do like this table though it looks perfect in the room.
    As for a seagrass rug. We had one in our dining room from Restoration Hardware and it was the most uncomfortable thing to walk on and we finally took it out and now use it outside in the summer on our wrap around porch:)
    my 2 cents worth...Terry

    ReplyDelete
  13. So I'm back reading comments and wondering what you'll decide. I love the round table you selected, and I was kind of intrigued with the suggestion to paint what you have there currently. Hmmm... You've done such a great job with this room so far!

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  14. I vote no matchy, matchy. Mix it up with something smaller and totally different! Love the new table!! I've had the same coffee table and end tables for almost 20 years, it's time for a change at my house. They were hand crafted by a local man and I still like them, maybe it's just time to paint them. One more thing on the to-do list!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh cool! Photos! Yay! I love your new coffee table. I can say from experience I got the round end tables because you can angle the seating around them better, just a thought I still don't know if I'd do a match in this case or not. However, on your rug have you considered turning it the opposite way in front of the couch so it is parallel with the fireplace. I am the same as you. I love the look of the seagrass rugs but just don't think we could stand it especially since we do like to sit on the floor often. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the new coffee table, perfect for that space. However, I would not match....I really do not match woods, I think perhaps something lighter...or a piece painted in a color..red, mustard, etc......also I would not recommend that kind of rug...looks great in a sunroom, I do not think comfy for a "family room" Jemma would not like it:) and either would your tootsies!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hey there, pretty lady! Thank you so much for your sweet note about my trip! We really did have a blast ... so glad I faced my fear. Happy early 16th! I hope you and your husband go away (just the two of you) to celebrate, if only for a night! Jemma will be fine, and, as much as I hated to hear it from my family and friends, our kiddos need a tiny break from us, too, sometimes. LOL. Yes, we did have a photographer during the ceremony ... they were part of the resort and were very reasonably priced, thank goodness.

    I LOVE your new coffee table. It's a beautiful contrast to your gorgeous white bookcase and fireplace! I love how it's distressed, too. Okay ... because your end table will be in pretty close proximity to your new coffee table, would you consider a smaller, rectangular (not square) one that would be closer to your hubby's chair? I'd either go with a white distressed or glass/metal vs. matching the coffee table. This way, your coffee table still remains a beautiful focal point and the end table would be a smaller *accent.* We just bought a few jute rugs (neutral color) and they are not hard on the tootsies whatsoevah! But, I do think that a patterned rug would be really nice in there ... like an 8x10. Just my .02! Have a great weekend, Becca xo

    ReplyDelete
  18. Kathryn, Love the new round cocktail table- and I think that having just ONE coordinating end table would be fine. I tell customers that they can mix things up and not buy an entire suite of furnishings. Adding something different in a third or fourth table adds visual interest. Do you have room for more in something different?
    I think painting the existing table might prove a little too much contrast-UNLESS you use that color into more of your decor. It is an option to consider, though. :-)
    It would be nice to see a diagram of the rest of your room. Wish I could help you out in person.
    Keep us in the loop!
    ~ Sue

    ReplyDelete
  19. Very pretty black table Kathryn! I like a mix of tables and styles. Lovely job on the entire room.

    Happy Fall! ~Melissa :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I heart your table! Cute blog.

    ReplyDelete