Saturday, September 25, 2010

The Versatile Blogger!




The sweet and wonderful Jane at Janie's Porch  passed on The Versatile Blogger award to me!  I am so honored as I truly enjoy blogging and meeting new friends!    I just want to thank you, Jane, for thinking about me.  If you have never visited her blog, please stop by.  She is an incredible woman who in the last few months has just taken charge of her life and has been so inspirational for me!  


A "Versatile Blogger" brings everything to the table - a little of this and a little of that."

Now, here are the rules for the Versatile Blogger Award:
  • Thank & link back to the person who gave you the award  (Thank you, Jane!)
  • Share 7 things about yourself  
  • Pass the award on to (up to) 15 other bloggers who you have recently discovered and think are fabulous  
  • Contact the bloggers you chose and let them know about the award.

And away we go...

1.  In high school, I was in beauty pageants.  I was Fairest Junior Miss, Fairest of the Fair, and Miss Merry Christmas.  I have the crowns and sash to prove it!!  It is funny because I have never thought of myself as pretty  especially in junior high and high school.  I just never understood how I won!  What I am proudest of though in my pageant heyday is that I won Miss Congeniality in 3 out of the 5 pageants I was in.  It was an honor since I was chosen by the girls because they liked me and thought I was nice.  Looks may fade, but nice is always in!

2.  I have no athletic ability.  I am serious.  I played softball for a year and won Most Improved.  I think it was a guilt thing as I went from horrifically bad to just pretty darn bad.  I tried out for other sports and never made it.  I was a cheerleader in high school but that was way before cheerleaders had to have a gymnastics background.  I suck at golf, but LOVE to play.  Nobody will hardly play with me because I cuss like a sailor on the course when I get frustrated (which is a lot!).  I don' t normally swear, but when I am on a golf course, I might as well have an anchor tattoo.  I just don't understand why I can't hit a little white ball?!? I embarrass my husband!

3.  I love to read.  I read every single night before bed and have for as long as I can remember.  I love mysteries, scary, suspense, gushy romance and all in between!  I love to read some books over and over.  As a child I loved the Trixie Belden mysteries, Nancy Drew and the Heavens to Betsy series.  As an adult, I love to read just about anything!  I can't go to bed at night without reading.  It is weird to me to get in bed and just turn out the light.  Can't do it.  Must read!

4.  I am a former school teacher.  I taught for 5 years in Tennessee, tutored for a year in Germany, and taught for 5 years in Michigan.  I have taught Transition First, First, Second and Fourth grades.  I love to teach children, but I hate all the politics that go with it, the paper work, stupid parents, and I disagree with the education system right now in how much we are shoving down kids throats that they are not developmentally ready for in order to keep up with other countries.  Hellooooo people... not keeping up!  You don't even want to get me started on that!!!  

5.  I hate vegetables.  Yes, I am Southern and yes, I HATE vegetables!  I know.  It just isn't right, but it is true.  DO NOT give me a pea or bean of any shape or sort.  I hate the taste and the texture.  If you try to sneak them in something, I know it.  I sense it before it even hits my mouth.  Ugh... gag... With that said, I do love salad and if you fry okra or pickle it, I am good, but peas and beans... don't even think about it!

6.  I don't like cereal with milk in it.  I know that is kind of the point of cereal, but who wants to eat a bunch of soggy pieces of stuff?  Not me!  No sirree!  

7.  I love being a mom.  It is the absolute best thing that has ever happened to me.  It is looking like there won't be any more in my future and I think I am o.k. with that.  I feel guilty sometimes that I am not giving Jemma a sibling, but I just know that God blessed us with this miracle of her and I am grateful everyday!

There you have it!  7 things you didn't know about me!

Now to pass this on...  I know everyone is busy so if you aren't able to do this, I totally get it, but there are some sweet people out there that I sure do think a lot of!

17 comments:

  1. Congrats to you Kathryn. I loved learning 7 things about you!!~ My husband hates peas and beans too, same reason you do. THanks for the pass on of the award! I appreciate the thought. Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kathryn,
    What a wonderful surprise when I got up this morning and saw this lovely surprise sitting in my inbox! *smile* I've really enjoyed getting to know you and following your blog, you are one of the sweetest girl's in blogland!

    How exciting to have participated in beauty pageants. I believe it, because you are GORGEOUS!!! Umm, and you daughter completely takes after you, what a beauty she is!

    Enjoy the day and I will post something up on my blog sometime today in between b-day parties. lol! XOXO ~Liz

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so sweet, thank you!
    And I can see why you won this award, you have a fabulous blog. And of course you won beauty pageants, you're gorgeous!

    I'm award free on my blog, but it is still such an honor to get this nod from you, thank you so much!

    Hugs,
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Kathryn for the award!! I really enjoyed learning more about you! This is a glimpse into another side of you!! I plan on working on this award along with a review for CSN so I will try to get it together tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post, and I am also one of those avid readers.. I can't just -go to bed- either..and if I have nothing I'm reading at the moment or nothing I can start reading... I actually go through a catalogue or something cause I just can't turn out that light till I'm falling asleep from reading!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Trixie Beldon too!! And I did the beauty pageant thing too! You should have posted a photo! You are so sweet, so of course you should be miss congeniality:-) About the wood...I "dried" this out on the deck for about a week in the hot sun just to make sure there wasn't anything living in it. If I bring in flowers, I might get some little spiders, but that's it. I"m just careful about the piece I choose. I don't like the creepy crawlies either!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think Miss Congeniality would be the most honored title of all! And I can certainly see why it was bestowed upon you. But, girl, we are going to have to work on that dislike of veggies....that just ain't right! LOL. It is fun to learn more about you....sometimes it's those little oddball things that make a friend that much more endearing. Have a great day!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, Kathryn. I'm not sure if I can get this passed on right now- but I truly do appreciate your thinking of me. I'll see what I can do after my two trips- going to furniture market soon and also a wedding in Florida. Busy me....
    And I hope that your attempts at fixing your table reap you some luck. :-)
    ~ Sue

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey there Kathryn, where is the post I wrote last night? Did I prattle on too much?
    Oh dear, if so, there went my mouth again...

    Hugs, Terry

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for including me in this, you are so sweet. I will try and get to it eventually,(I've been pretty busy lately) I think it's pretty neat too. It's always nice to find out more about our blogging friends. Like the fact you were in beauty pagents. That is fabulous! With your beautiful smile I can certainly see why, you have the kind of beauty that is inside that one just cannot help but see shine right through to the outside. It's there girl! Howeva, aren't you a picky thang! LOL! You must have been quite a challenge on your poor parents at the dinner table, and here I thought my kids were picky. So funny!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great post! So fun to learn more about you. I totally get the "cussing like a sailor" while playing golf...been there :) Congrats on all the congeniality awards, says a lot about you! Thanks for sharing some of yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great post! I totally get the "cursing like a sailor" when playing golf....been there :) Congrats on all the congeniality awards, something to be proud of! Thanks for sharing a little about yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well, hey there Miss Fairest Junior Miss! Love it and loved learning more about you! You're too sweet ... and even sweeter for including me in your list! I need to think of 7 things, but my life is pretty bor-ing *yawn*! THANK YOU for your kind note about my Fall mantel. We really are enjoying the "beefed" up version. I LOVE yours, too! And, hey, if you place things on there that might wobble just a bit, get some of those heavy duty sticky tabs and place it on the bottom of your accessory. I've done that before and it really works! I can't wait to see your Fall lovelies! Big hugs, *Becca*

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey come on over and eat beef stew with us!! Thanks for thinking of me!! That is so sweet:-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you so much, Kathryn!!! This is such a wonderful award to get and it means so much that you included me on the list...yippeee! :)

    Love the rules and I plan to do my post very soon! I hope you have a Fabulous Friday ahead!

    Liesl :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi! I came over to your blog via Deb's Confessions of an Ugly Mom (don't you just love her??)

    I am totally with you on 3 and 4! I loved Trixie Belden too, read them all! Did you ever read any of the old Bobbsey Twins/Donna Parker/6 Little Bunkers books? I read every night too. I can't go to sleep without reading, and I always have 3-4 books on my nightstand ready to be read. As to #4, I resigned from teaching 10 years ago to have my children, but I just started back this year in K. I cannot believe what is expected of these children now. We can't cook or do art projects or even have holiday parties. Everything must have a learning connection. Poor little things. Also...Stupid Parents. Hit the nail on the head with that one! I'm looking forward to reading more of your blog!
    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you, thank you for including me!! Love finding out more about you! I will try really hard to repost....... no idea what to say about myself!!??

    ReplyDelete