I know this post is late in coming, but I just had to share it! My hometown fair is a big deal. It was always one of my favorite times of year! I still get giddy when I think about rounding the curve in the old highway and seeing the double ferris wheel for the first time! Giddy, I tell you!!! Since we moved to Germany in 2000, I have not been to our fair. It has always begun on Labor Day weekend with the rides opening on that Monday night. It was also the night of the pageants!! I have always wanted to take Jemma, but schools in Michigan started on Tuesday after Labor Day so there was no way to go and do it. This was our year though and we took off to the fair!
The fair is totally new and ran by another company. The actual pictures of the fair rides and booths were taken by a very talented photographer named Denise Wherley from my hometown. Since someone forgot to take the camera that night... (how do I even call myself a blogger when I forget the camera at the house?!?) she generously shared her pictures with me! There was no ferris wheel to greet me as we rounded the curve, but I did see some lights. I hate to say it, but I needed that double ferris wheel!!! We actually had to wear jackets! It was nice and crisp outside so perfect fair weather. We sat down at one of the local booths for a burger and ran into a dear friend that I cheered with in high school who had her two little ones with her. Her son is 6 and daughter is 4 so we buddied up and had the best time! There wasn't a lot of people there so we bought the kids the "all you want to ride" bracelet and ride they did! They would get off one ride and just walk around and get on it again. The little girls hit it off and it was perfect!!!
Jennifer and me at our 20 year reunion
Our girls one year later! Jemma is only two months older than Ellie! I think Jem is going to get her height from her dad!
The next day, I got to reunite with three of my dearest friends. Chris, who I ran the 5k with, and I have always known each other. Our grandmothers were best friends. Dreama was our other best friend in high school and I hadn't seen her in 7 or 8 years. I can't even tell you all the scraps we got ourselves into! Love them!!!
Me, Dreama and Chris
Then came Julie!!! Julie and I lived behind each other growing up in Nashville. All that separated our yards was a creek. We went to the same private school, but didn't really get to be friends until 6th grade. Then we were inseparable. It was funny because we ran with different groups at our school, but after school we were always together! She came to Tennessee Tech for a semester and we roomed together. I must add that was one of the best semesters EVER!!!! We
Julie's sweet babies!
We then ate at a booth, saw my Fairest of the Fair picture in a big display case, and rode rides! I was so happy to have all these dear people with me and couldn't have asked for more!
Here I am in all my Fair queen glory!! The BHW always starts humming "Glory Days" by Bruce Springsteen when my pageant or cheering days come up!!!
See the fish I won for Jemma? Oh yeah, I can still shoot a squirt gun!!!
It was the perfect weekend! If I never go to my hometown fair again, I am okay because it couldn't have been a better time!








I liked going when I was younger, but not so much anymore. Glad you were able to have fun with your friends. Great pictures of you.
ReplyDeleteThe fair(!) ... what fun ... greasy food, games, all walks of life and the great rides (although questionable at times (lol)! I love the pics !! Looks like you guys had a blast ... love the one of the moms in the kiddie ride. The kiddos are precious. You always go on the best adventures! (And, thanks for your super sweet shout out about my Fall tree! I will NOT be putting up 11 this year like I did last year ... I promise)!!!! Hugs, *Becca*
ReplyDeleteWhat a fun time. You and your daughter are GORGEOUS!! Girl, you have the most BEAUTIFUL blue eyes...WOW!! I love the Fairest Princess picture...adorable! Thanks for sharing! XO ~Liz
ReplyDeleteKathryn that is so awesome to be able to hook up with the gals and their kids for such a special event. I loved our country Fair to back in Buffalo...what memories I have. You had a fantastic day....you have the prettiest eyes ever, I know I told you that before, but you really do, they steal the show!!~
ReplyDeleteLooked like a fun, girlfriend weekend!
ReplyDeleteOh my, it looks like such a fun time- especially since you were able to meet up with old friends and their kids! If I had ever been a pageant queen or princess, I would wear my crown around the house ALL THE TIME, so you just enjoy those Glory Days and tell your husband to turn up the volume on his singing!
ReplyDeleteI love the fairs too, these are great shots! ... and Thank God for the girlfriends. You all look terrific!
ReplyDeleteIt looks like such a fun time, Kathryn! We went to the fair here a few weeks ago, too, and I got talked into riding the ferris wheel. (I hate heights!) Sorry you forgot your camera, but the pictures you ended up with are great! And how cool to see you standing next to the photo of you when you were the Fairest Princess ~ you're still beautiful, girl!!!
ReplyDeleteWow, you girls all look great! The fair looks like so much fun too. Love the pageant photo!!
ReplyDeleteI love fairs...what fun and I love the colorful pictures!!! You look beautiful at your reunion and not old enough at all for it to be your 20tth...so pretty!
ReplyDeleteLiesl :)
Oh goodness girlfriend, this is so wonderful! It just makes me think of such an innocent and fun time!
ReplyDeleteI love all the pictures of you, you have only become even prettier with age!
Hugs dear girl,
terry
Love the pictures from the fair! Such strong colors against the dark background, love it!! And YOU in that halter top, that is your color woman!! Awesome shirt!
ReplyDeleteOh sorry so late on visiting you. This looks like a blast. I am so glad you and your friends actually took the time to hang out together. Everytime I run into friends at the fair we just chat for a bit and go our seperate ways. I love the pic with you and your friends on the ride together! Your fairest of the fair photo is great! What a suprise, huh? LOL! Great post and thanks so much for sharing this adventure with us. It's almost fair time here in Cola town! Woohoo!
ReplyDeleteLooks like you had such a fun time! Way to go on winning the fish :).
ReplyDeleteWhat a fantastic time you must have had! Old friends are the best...even if you're NOT THAT OLD!! LOL
ReplyDeleteI just ♥ the photo of poor, pooped out Jem on the bench...priceless!
Lovely memories....
ReplyDeleteLovely girls of ALL
ages : ) Cute boy, too!
Lovely post!
xx Suzanne
I found your "how to". I am your newest follower. I used to live in Charleston (West of the Ashley) - such charm and beauty there!!
ReplyDeleteblessings!