Saturday, February 19, 2011

I am not afraid anymore...

Of all my canned goods crashing down on everything!  The house came with the wire racks in the pantry.  Our pantry is narrow and deep so some of those bad boys were holding up a good bit of weight.  I kept telling the BHW that if we heard a huge crash one night, we would know what it was!  He (being the sweetie that he is!) decided to build me some wooden shelves!  Here is the pantry before.


I know it doesn't look very organized, but I promise it kind of was.  At least it was about a year ago when I cleaned it all out, purged old things and organized it.  You can still see some of my very fancy labels I made!   That would be paper taped to the shelf. That was my tutorial for you!

First, we took everything out of the pantry.  I don't have any idea how I get all this stuff into that little pantry, but I did!  I went through everything and threw away anything expired.  
Hi, my name is Kathryn and I used to have a Longaberger addiction...



There is my happy little worker bee!  He even came home early on Valentine's Day to work on my pantry!  He sort of had to as he started the project on Sunday and it took a bit longer than he planned.  All this stuff was out on my counters and I had to get it off!  Baking cookies and making pizzas were interesting with no available space to work on!  
He had already cut the shelves and we had primed and painted them.  Bless his heart, he was coming down with the flu and we didn't know it.  He didn't feel great, but kept on working!


Here she is now all done and organized (for the most part!)  There is a lot to be desired in my organizational skills, but it works for me!  It just seems that I have more room and I don't worry about stacking cans toward the front or back so they won't collapse in the middle!  He did such a good job!


He also made my spice shelves that are in here.  You can see that post here.  I am a pretty lucky lady to have a handy husband!  Thank you sweetheart!  You really are the BHW!


And I had to just add this picture of my old girl, Murphy!  You can read all about her here.  I have been playing with my new lens and I just loved this picture of her!  Isn't she beautiful?  I love her!  


21 comments:

  1. awww...I love Murphy too! I love your new pantry shelves toooooooo....I am jealous. I hate those stupid wire shelves. I just can't start over though...my world would cave in with one hot mess!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woo hoo for your BHW on building your wooden shelves! Looks FABULOUS and on a side note, I love the look of your kitchen too...very nice!

    Liesl :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow..looks great! And very organized! How in the world did you get all those groceries in there? It doesn't look as full as it should be!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hate wire shelving, it always ends up coming away from the nail holes and crashing at some point unless you're super careful. Great husband! Great shot of Murphy! Now I have to go read her story...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now you can come do mine. That looks great and I am not organized at all! I wish I was I could probably breathe easier. I loved your label tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your new shelves, but it just seems so convenient to let everything out on the counter, doesn't it? New lens, huh? I can't wait to see all the photos!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! I love your *new* pantry. Your worker bee gets an A++. You must be thrilled with the results and feel so good about cleaning out and reorganizing! I'd love to trade out our wire shelves for solid ones ... might have to add this great project to my ever-growing list! Hope you guys are having a wonderful weekend! Hugs, Becca

    ReplyDelete
  8. The pantry looks wonderful!! Doesn't it feel good to get that all organized? It looks like it might hold more than before, too. I am finishing up organizing all my files. Purging...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Girl you are too funny. I cracked up when I saw all that stuff on your counters. I so need to clean out my pantry. It's one of those projects that keeps hanging over my head. Yours looks great!
    xoxo,
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yay for awesome husbands! It's kind of a pain to devote all that time to organizing, but what a difference it makes. Sleep tight! :-)

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! That's a crazy amount of food! We have no where near that much at home because we don't have a pantry. Boo.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks fantastic! I really hate those wire shelves!! We have them in all our closets here too. They really don't work in the bathroom linen closets where small items are ALWAYS falling in between the spaces. This project is definitely on the "Honey-Do" list!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello, I'm glad you found me so that I could find you! I'm your newest follower! Yay :D Where in SC do you live? I'm in SC too.

    The pantry made a huge transformation! I am personally trying to remove all the wire shelving in my house! I haven't done my pantry yet but it is most certainly on the to-do list. Yours turned out fantastic. Very inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love that Murphy; she's adorable. I'm visiting from somewhere I can't remember where but enjoying myself. Great pantry shelves, well done husband!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your new pantry is so nice....JEALOUS!! I have the wire shelving and DISPISE it. If I have too much weight on the shelf it begins to sag in the middle. Way to get organized....it looks wonderful! Thanks for sharing! XOXO ~Liz

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow - I am jealous! Can you please come over to my house! Also, will e-mail you back soon!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your Mr. did a wonderful job! I have the wire shelves too and received a foot injury (Big blue bruise) not so long ago when one of the cans jumped out and caught me across the area where my toes connect to my foot. It feels so great to get organized doesn't it! I still need to tackle this area. I really love all your longaberger baskets, that a great addiction to have! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  18. How awesome! He did a great job on the shelving! I am so jealous...building shelving for our pantry always gets pushed to the bottom of the to do list for many years. It's amazing how much stuff actually fits in there when it's all organized!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I don't know how you did without for so long! LOL Now stay organized, Kathryn!
    I know I would absolutely hate wire shelves- I'd be dropping crumbs, little packets of ketchup, and crackers between them. Then it would be even messier than usual. ha ha I have 2 pantries with solid shelving. They hold a ton of cans, bottles, dishes, etc. If I had wire, I would have been out big bucks because they would have all collapsed by now! Your hubs was a good sport getting your shelves done for you, even though he ended up with the flu. I'm so glad my cold didn't end up as that. Did I know your dog's name was Murphy?! xo Sue

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a sweetie your
    hubby is ~ handy guys
    are the best!! I LOVE
    the shot of your darling
    dog and NEED to know what
    lens you used, pretty please??
    Hope you are enjoying
    the weekend, Kathryn!
    xx Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow, those are nice shelves!! I have a very handy hubby who has yet to fix my pantry shelving. Maybe I need to show him this!! My coffee pot search took a turn, but a nice one involving Germany, lol!

    ReplyDelete