Friday, February 11, 2011

Oyster Roast 2011

Have you ever been to an oyster roast?  Oh my!!!  If you love oysters, this is the place for you!!!!  It is a traditional outdoor party here in the Lowcountry.

 There are huge tables which are basically a piece of plywood with holes cut in each end.  Garbage cans are placed under the holes to hold the thing up.  Big batches of oysters are steamed in baskets and dumped on the table.  You dig in and toss your shells in the holes!  We love to have them on crackers with horseradish and cocktail sauce, but it appears to we are too fancy with it and we should just drag the oyster through some cocktail sauce and pop it in our mouths!


My friend, Laura in the pink, got caught by these sly young girls who had her doing the shucking and giving them the oysters!  She looked at me and said, "I don't even know these kids!"  This was our first annual Oyster Roast in our neighborhood last Sunday.  The weather was perfect!  We had D.J. playing music and a huge RV parked in the parking lot with a big screen t.v. playing Super Bowl pregame stuff. We had a great turnout and lots of fun!  


Meet my friend, Mandy, who is a southern belle at her finest!  If I want to keep up,  I need a monogrammed oyster glove and oyster knife.  I told you people we monogram everything!!! 
 I will have one next year!!!  
Beautiful weather, great food, wonderful friends... could it have been a better Sunday?  I think not!

9 comments:

  1. Looks like fun! Haven't ever been to an oyster roast! This weekend is going to be beeautifullll too :) Happy 1 year Blogaversary, btw!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never been to one, but I can tell you my husband would Love it! Looks like a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Never been to one of those but boy it looks like fun! THanks for your visit today - you made me smile... ;)
    xoxo,
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  4. This whole post made me smile! From the oyster roast talk to the monograms! My whole family tht lives in Lexington, near Columbia, just went to the one at Boone Hall and I was so sad and jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How cool! Yes mam, now that's what I call an oyster roast! I don't eat the oysters but always enjoy the fun! My husbands cousin has oyster roasts every year that we go to. He lives in Charlotte now, but his mama always had them when he was growing up in Mt.Pleasant. My husband and his family are always remininising about the old days shucking oysters in Mt.Pleasant. I love the DJ and Big Screen TV. Wow! Way to go! Of course you are going to need that monogrammed glove, while your at it have your oyster knife engraved too. LOL! You are going to love what I am about to start selling, talk about monogramming! Sorry don't have oyster gloves and knives to sell, but I promise you will love the other stuff. I'll be posting about that next week. This looks like such a great neighborhood to live in! I am so envious of you! :)))

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mmmmm, oysters!
    I surely woulda been there if I lived closer!

    Happy weekend!
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  7. Maybe the monogrammed oyster glove could be a good valentine present from your hubby! Of course if my husband got me that I'd be plenty ticked off, but oyster roasts are pretty rare around here, even when there's not 6 inches of snow on the ground!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What FUN! I'm not an oyster fan; however, I love watching people "shuck" them. And, of course, I'm always up for a party! Looks like you guys had a blast! *Becca*

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, this looks like an incredible time.

    ReplyDelete