The next day we woke up after a very restful night and had a wonderful breakfast in the dining room at the Avarest B&B. I had French Toast that was yummy while some of the others had the full Irish breakfast. Jemma became quick friends with Nora and they spent the rest of their morning together playing while we all showered and got ready to leave. Speaking of showers, mine was lovely. Then about 7 others showered and the BHW was last. About the time he was completely suds up from head to toe, the water quit. No water... nada... zero. We called to the owner who tried everything, but we were out of luck. We even went into a hall bathroom that had just the shower head with a big bathtub. Nope... no water there either! I had to fill a small plastic cup up with cool water from the sink and pour over my husband to wash the soap suds off of him! I was laughing so hard, I was hurting! He didn't enjoy it so much, but hey... that's what happens when that many people are showering!
 |
| Jemma insisted on sleeping with the girls! They are so good to her! |
 |
| This is the owner of the B&B's daughter, Nora. Isn't she a cutie? |
We set off to see Adare which is a sweet little village that is deemed Ireland's Prettiest Village. Lots of cute shops and beautiful churches (where we saw another wedding!). We stopped at the Heritage Center and found out about the tour to Desmond Castle. There are lots of shops in the center and an exhibit. My two SIL's and I bought beautiful matching rings with Connemara marble from Ireland. I will show you a picture of it soon! While everyone was shopping, I started chatting with the lady who sells the tours. She was asking me if we had ever been to Ireland and I told her how much we loved it there and would move in heartbeat. I told her we were there to celebrate the MIL's 70th birthday and just chit chat. I went to tell the others about the cost which was 15 Euros for a family and everyone was sort of hemming and hawing. The lady called me back over and told me that the whole lot of us could go for 20 Euros! I LOVE Irish people!!!
 |
| Cole modeling one of the fashions of a shop! |
We got on the bus and took the tour of Desmond Castle which is really beautiful and now sits next to the golf course. I have discovered that I don't learn as much on a tour with a 5 year old as I used to! Especially when one 5 year old starts playing with a stick and her mother tells her to put it down she flips it backward. Said mother watches in slow motion as it arcs through the air and pegs the tour guide in the head while he is talking! MORTIFIED!!!!! Jemma was so embarrassed, but did apologize to the gentleman. He was so nice about it!
Desmond Castle was erected with an ancient ring fort in the early 1200's. It was a strategic fortress throughout the years which were very turbulent in Ireland. It belonged to the Earls of Kildare for nearly 300 years but was forfeited and granted to the Earls of Desmond after a rebellion
in 1536. The castle stands along the river and it was believed there a large moat around it also. The walls are thick and there are lots of tiny windows and "murder holes" where hot oil and things would be dropped from. It truly was a strong fortress and the earls were bent on protecting their families. Vickie said it was one of her favorite parts of all of Ireland as it gave her a true sense of what it could have been like then. I agree!
 |
| There is the poor tour guide in the background before Jemma nailed him in the head! |
 |
| This is one of my favorite pictures. She had to wear her shamrock dress that Nana made! |
We went back to the Heritage Center where we went through the exhibit on the village of Adare. It was a neat glimpse of history in a unique setting. We then headed down the street to Aunt Lena's Pub to have a meal. We found some cozy tables and I had my first round of fish and chips! Ahhhhh... I adore fish and chips in England, Ireland, and Scotland! There are just better there! It was fun to see all the people who had been to the wedding come into the pub afterwards! Lots of fun hats!





We then all decided to do some shopping. My BIL, his wife and kids are shoppers extraordinare! I would rather go into a church or tour something and they would rather shop so off we all went! We headed back down to the park so Jemma could run around some and visited some quaint shops along the way. The girls were with us and the races began! We all got in on the fun. As I ran, my pants started to fall down. I lost. The BHW started to lose his glasses and then about fell on his face while trying to save his glasses. Then Jemma started looking for four leaf clovers. You always have to in Ireland! We met back up in the parking lot and headed to our new home for the week.
 |
| New thatch vs. old thatch. There are very few people who know how to do thatch and it is very expensive! |
 |
| Jemma started crazy running/doing a jig! |
 |
| Before I lost my pants that were way too big on me! Stretch... love some things about it, but not when they stretch too much that you can't keep them up! |
 |
| Searching for clovers |
 |
| Save the glasses! |
 |
| Jemma giving money to the street musician |
 |
| Taking a little nap in the car |
We arrived with no troubles to our lovely house, Mangerton View, in Killarney, Ireland. We had to go to the farm next door for the owner's mother to open the house for us. She followed us over and gave us a quick tour. The house was wonderful and perfect for us, but I can't even begin to describe the views out of the back windows. The whole back of the house was windows and all you could see was gorgeous green mountains with farms dotted here and there. It was amazing! Benji, the dog, and cows greeted us upon our arrival. Benji is a sheep dog who thought is was a grand time trying to herd the kids! He was intent on keeping them together! He nipped a hole in Cole's shirt, and he didn't even care. He was having to much fun trying to outwit and outrun the dog!
 |
| Our glorious views |
We headed down to a local pub but there was no restaurant service that late (it was almost 9:00) so we headed into town and ate at an Italian place called Salvadors right on High Street (which is a party happening place at night ie. drunk people whooping and hollering at each other from different pubs and one young man holding a blow up doll out of a window!). It was good food, but the service was a bit lacking. Then it was home and to bed since we had a big day planned!
Your daughter is just so beautiful! I am loving seeing all of your pictures and feeling as though I am on the trip with you...love it and Jemma's shamrock dress!
ReplyDeleteLiesl :)
Gorgeous shots. Love the ones of the town and the colorful buildings with the dark gray clouds in the backdrop. I hate when my pants stretch out, too.
ReplyDeleteThese pictures are just spectacular.. what a wonderful family trip, great memories for the future, thanks for sharing. I feel like I've been to Ireland!
ReplyDeleteWow Kathryn, I'm there with you!! I have never been to Ireland, but would love to go. It looks wonderful and what memories you are making!!
ReplyDeleteGorgeous, gorgeous!!! Kathryn, you've made such wonderful memories. Love that "said mother" kept her cool! I woulda lost it if our Daniel had done that~ LOL I see you were drinking a Smithwicks? I'll take one of those over a Guinness any ol' day! xo Sue
ReplyDeleteOh my, too many things to comment on, I can't remember them all. I loved the photo of Jemma kneeling,the one of the pretty pastel houses down the street, and oh, how pretty the skies were when you visited the castle! You do a good job of explaining your days to us, I'm enjoying this novella very much!
ReplyDeleteWOW, what a trip! So many gorgeous photos. Looks like everyone is really enjoying themselves, except for maybe your husband and his cold shower! he he
ReplyDeleteSure does not get any better than this. Those pictures of Jemma running are gorgeous. Starting her young on the guiness I see LOL! YUM!~
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDelete