This usually leads to a party that lasts well into the morning!
The next morning, we headed over to their house to have breakfast, but stopped to buy flowers. Flowers in Germany are so lovely and it is customary to take flowers when you have been invited to a home. The are so creative and unique with their designs. The florist even gave Jemma three yellow roses! We arrived with our gifts and had a wonderful breakfast together. Marina opened her gifts from us which were a monogrammed candle ( I made myself - thanks Amy from Playing Sublimely!) and a monogrammed silver necklace. I live in Charleston... we monogram everything. I wouldn't be surprised if Charlestonians underwear aren't monogrammed! Jemma even made her own gift. A paper plate completely painted black. She was so proud! She even made sure that we packed it! We hung out that day and Jemma and Isabel did their "thing" which was looking at Peter Pan clips on Youtube!
The Family went home for a nap before the big party. We arrived to the Adler in Ottersweier which is a new restaurant across from where I used to get my hair cut. Well, I say new, but it isn't new, but the building is. It is a beautiful restaurant with different sections and a biergarten in the back. We were in the big sections which is decorated like an Italian street. The floor is stone, the walls are painted like homes with balconies and things. It was just beautiful. Jemma even asked who lived in there! This is a Party with a capital P! The food was amazing. First course was a tomato cream soup, followed by an Italian appetizer buffet. There were meatballs, tomato mozarella caprese, beef thinly sliced with cream sauce, shrimp and squid in a garlic oil marinade and that just names a few! This was the buffet.
Then we had salad and after that came noodles in a white wine cream sauce. In between courses were birthday wishes and events. The funniest was when all the neighbors, made Marina do a "fitness test". She had to hula hoop, jump rope, and all kinds of things to pass her 50 year fitness test. It was hilarious!
Of course, the neighbors all sang to her. It was wonderful to see the friends we had lived with for 2 1/2 years. Many of them didn't know we were there and it was a huge surprise! They didn't recognize me, but when they saw Tom they figured it out! It was so much fun!
Notice who is sitting right next to Marina. She tried to climb in her lap, but we wouldn't let her!
Marina's "birthday cake" from the neighbors! Don't ask!
All those cute fans though are money! Very nice!
Then came another course of food! We had veal wrapped in parma ham in a white wine cream sauce, filet in a balsamic sauce , and potatoes.
Jemma found a playmate. Her name was Maeva and she is so cute! She spoke only French, Jemma spoke only English and we are at a German party! It all worked and they were so sweet dancing and coloring together! This area is about 20 minutes from France. So Marina has family that lives there. We are so multi-cultural!!
Marina's daughters did a beautiful power point for their mom. It was pictures of her growing up and very special.
The dancing began and Jemma was the dancing queen! She kept dancing with our neighbor Gaby who would swing her around and around. She would hardly dance with her old mom as I wasn't as much fun! Then came dessert! It was a coffee flavored ice cream wrapped in a ball of chocolate ice cream, which was then rolled in cocoa powder with chocolate crunchies. After this came a buffet of cakes and pies that people had brought for the birthday! The dancing queen started to wind down around 1:00 and the Family left the party and headed back to bed. It was such an honor to get to be a part of this birthday for Marina!
This is Vanessa's boyfriend, Phillip, who Jemma was quite taken with. Jemma took some pictures and this was one of MANY that she took of Phillip!
Our German Family
The Family










What an awesome looking party!! Yes I know the Germans know how to party!!~ Although my German friend Elke was not big into celebrating her own birthday. She did a have a huge party for her husbands 40th, I had the flu that year! But Mike said it was fantastic!~ Looks like Jemma had a blast too.!~ Oh on the Bachelor episode..barf barf on Vienna...I don't get it!!~
ReplyDeleteHi Kathryn, it's Stephanie! Thanks for visiting, I appreciate the kind words!! I have been home 12 years now, and those have been the fastest years of my life!! I would never trade this for anything!! Isn't living on a cul-de-sac awesome!! (you did tell me that you live on one right?!) Your daughter is adorable! Love the new background on your blog!! Have a great week!
ReplyDeleteKathryn, they celebrate just like the Italians it seems. When my son's in-laws gave a reception party in Italy a year after they got married in the states, it was an all day eat fest. My dil said it would probably be twelve courses and I said what??? I had never heard of eating that much and all day. They served a lot of FRESH seafood which I sure do not care for and did not want to try. They had asked my son if we like seafood and he told them yes, they eat at Red Lobster. Well seafood in Italy is not Red Lobster. I do eat other seafood though. I fix fish at home all the time and I love crab legs. Anyway they chose seafood as the main entre because they thought we liked it. My husband ate a lot of it because by that time he had had a LOT of vino!! They served squid, octopus, mussels, oysters, you name it. If it swam they served it. The party was great and I filled up on pasta and bread and did not even miss the seafood. I am glad you had such a wonderful time.
ReplyDeleteLooks like a wonderful time!
ReplyDeleteDanielle
Hey there !! I LOVE the pics from your travels ... what fun !! And, clearly, yes, they do know how to throw a party. Jemma is precious, and what fun she found a French playmate ... looks like they had a great time together, even though they couldn't really communicate. :) My brother-in-law is French, and I love seeing their pics from my sister's travels to his "home" in Montpelier, France ... always lots of food, wine and laughter in each photo !! Thanks for sharing ... and thanks for leaving such a sweet note about my kitchen. I wish you *were* closer so you could hit the wine cooler with me. Hugs, Becca
ReplyDeletehi, that party looks so fun! I wanted to answer your questions but didn't see an email address.
ReplyDeleteI start with a foundation primer. There are a lot of good ones, smashbox, giorgio armani, etc. - those semi-opaque white bottles of goo. They will fill in any pores, help absorb oil and make a nice smooth canvas for your foundation. I use laura mercier foundation all over, her secret concealer under my eyes and mac select cover-up anywhere else that needs it. put the foundation on first and then add concealer to the places that still need covering. then i set it all with l'oreal true match powder. the primer and laura mercier are expensive. the mac concealer is the best product of all those and affordable. l'oreal true match liquid foundation is really good too. i use a fluffy brush or the sponge in the compact for the powder and my fingers for everything else. they warm the product and help it absorb and blend into your skin better. feel free to email me any other questions - henderson1026@gmail.com.