I am going to link up with Heidi at Heart and Home for Wednesday Gratitude! Thanks for hosting, Heidi!
I am grateful that I have a husband who loves to have adventures with me! We lived in Germany for 2 1/2 years and when he got home on a Thursday or Friday, he never knew exactly where we were going that weekend. I was a travel planning guru. We have been lost so many times in Europe and had so much fun finding our way through unfamiliar places with unfamiliar languages! One of our most memorable trips was our 8th wedding anniversary trip to Ireland. This was our third visit there, and I have to say...we love it there. I would move there in a heartbeat. The scenery is beautiful and the people are the kindest, funniest, most helpful that you will ever meet. It all started like this...
We were on a Greek cruise and an American couple were on board. She had a Cosmopolitan magazine. We were all lying by the pool and she finished it up. Before she could put it down, I asked if I may read it. You see, living in Germany doesn't afford a lot of opportunity to read American magazines! Of course, I had my Southern Living sent over, but that was it. She told me to take it, so I started to eagerly read! It was an October issue and there was an article about haunted places that stars stayed at. It was great and she even let me have the magazine! About a month later, the BHW tells me that he has booked our anniversary trip! I have no idea what he has done and he can't wait to tell me (he can't keep secrets!). He said, "I booked the hotel, but I need you to do your magic and book the rest of the trip!" I was more than happy to oblige especially after he told me we were staying at Castle Leslie in Ireland! This is the hotel where Paul McCartney married Heather Mills. We stayed in the "haunted" red room that Paul stayed in the night before his wedding. I slept in the same bed as Paul!!! So by proxy, I guess you can say that I have slept with Paul McCartney! Moving on...
I booked our flight through Ryanair. Can you say "CHEAP"!!! I love Ryanair and was able to get tickets for both of us roundtrip for $35! That's right folks! $35!!! We need a Ryanair in America!!!
We arrived and had the most wonderful visit! Ireland is a magical place and Dublin is a lovely city to visit. If you want to really experience Ireland though, go to out into the country. It is what Ireland is all about! We flew into Shannon and toured the Cliffs of Moher. Amazing!!!
Cliffs of Moher
O'Brien's Tower by the Cliffs of Moher
The next day we headed north to the Sligo area. We stopped in the village where the filmed The Quiet Man with John Wayne. This is a favorite of ours! This town didn't even get electricity until the early 1950's when they decided to film the movie there! We stayed at a lovely B&B there and headed to the castle the next day.
As we are driving we see so much beautiful scenery through the areas known as The Burren.
We passed the Poulnabrone Dolmen which is a portal tomb dating back to 2500 to 2000 BC. I made the BHW go back as I couldn't pass up the opportunity to touch something that was 5, 000 years old!!! The Irish heritage hasn't roped it all off yet so we went right up to it. Ok. We sat on it for a picture. I don't think it was quite what we should have done, but we were so excited!
As we were getting closer to the castle, I noticed a sign that said Belleek. Well next thing you know, we came upon the factory! This was a definite stop and I purchased a few items! Embarassing moment here. The lady rang up the goods and told me the price in pounds. I asked her why and she informed me that we were in Northern Ireland. Without even thinking, I looked at the BHW and said, "We aren't supposed to have the rental car in Northern Ireland!" What was I thinking?????? Oh well, they still took my money and we drove off happy that the rental dealership didn't know about this!!
We made it to the castle and were greeted by the granddaughter of Sir John Leslie. He owns the castle and she runs the place. She showed us around and took us to our room where Tom had champagne and flowers waiting for me! We had a wonderful anniversary dinner in the dining room. You sat in the drawing room, ordered and when your food was ready, they escorted you to your table. So lovely!
The next day, we ventured to Northern Ireland (please don't tell the rental car agency!) and visited the Giant's Causeway. This is where my family is from and what a spectacular visit! 



Tom's in Finn McCool's wishing chair
This is the wave that almost took me out to sea!
We toured around a few more days and enjoyed the beautiful sights and scenery that I will share with you.
Our last day there was spent taking a tour of the house given by Sir John Leslie. He is in his 90's now, I believe and such a delightful storyteller. What a life he has lived and how wonderful to live in a home filled with so many bits of history. I will share those another time! Here is Sir John going to feed his geese. Isn't he dapper with his feather in his hat?
If you look closely in the house shot, you can see me sitting in the window of our room!
We saw more rainbows on this trip than you could imagine! I kept listening for the hammering sounds of leprechauns so we could catch one, but unfortunately we didn't! We did search for the pot of gold, but couldn't find the ends of the rainbows!
So, after all that...sorry everyone... I got carried away! I am so grateful for my darling husband who knows me and loves me. He takes care of me and my daughter and loves us. We love him even more.


































Fantastic!!~ You looked cute in short hair!!~ What a happy good looking, loving couple you make!!~ Those where some awesome pics!~
ReplyDeleteHi,
ReplyDeleteThank you so much for posting these wonderful travel pictures. I feel like I got to go along on the trip too! Ireland is on my list, someday....
You two always have such lovely adventures. My mom was the trip planner when I was young. We lived in Germany for almost 6 years and went everywhere all the time. She was from Thuringen-Meiningen but I've never seen that part of Germany because at the time it was East Germany. Anyway, we had wonderful times exploring and even though your daughter is young I think she will remember a lot of your trips together.
Your husband sounds like a romantic guy, flowers and champagne...I'm always the one who does that kind of thing for us. Maybe I should stop and give RW a chance?!
Thanks for linking up, you did it perfectly! I hope you'll be back, I always enjoy your posts, and appreciate your sweet comments!
XO
Heidi - Heart and Home
Kathryn how lucky to have traveled to all these great places. I would love to go there someday and see all those castles and the cliffs. I love that they actually want to feed the geese and I want them to leave. And shame on you sleeping with Paul! lol
ReplyDeleteKathryn that is just wonderful! What a gorgeous country and special trip you went on. A true blessing.
ReplyDeleteThank you for following along my blog. You are very kind. ~Melissa :)
Hi,
ReplyDeleteI'm so glad to have found your blog via Heidi's gratitude posts. Loved seeing all the pics and learning about your trip! Your hubby is a romantic isn't he? Very cool ~ ;-) Your daughter is adorable too...love the pic of her.
Thanks so much for sharing! I look forward to getting to know you better.
Brightest blessings,
Pat
Kathryn,
ReplyDeleteThanks so much for inviting me over to your site. Your honorary St. Patrick's pictures are wonderful as well as your travel stories. I really enjoyed it. Many years ago I was a corporate travel agent and always thought I would go to Ireland someday. It's now on my bucket list. LOL! You and your husband do look very well together too! I look forward to seeing and reading many more. Thanks!
Hi Jemsmom,
ReplyDeleteI stumbled onto your beautiful blog from Debbiedoos posting. I love your photos from Ireland & since we've been there, could totally relate to all that you were feeling. I can't wait to return either.
My family is from Co. Cork, so we did the southern end last visit. I'd love to visit the places you went next time.
Thanks for sharing your vacation!
Rett
What an incredible adventure!!! These photos are so fantastic! I have never been to Ireland, and I do have plenty of Irish in my family. Maybe that's why I love green so much, Anyway, you are truly blessed to have shared so many wonderful places with your husband. Sounds like a dream trip:-) Thanks so much for stopping by:-) I have been so cray here with the kids and everything that I have been very slack in visiting...but I'll be back:-)
ReplyDeleteOh my! I have never seen such a beautiful place...I really want to go there. Man, those pictures are incredible! I know ya'll had a blast!
ReplyDeleteWOW, what stunning amazing photos. I'm so glad you found my blog so I can follow yours. I often day dream of traveling and maybe you can teach me how to actually do so one day. Love your pantry redo BTW. Great job. So nice to have found you. Have a great day!
ReplyDelete