About 7 years ago, we decided it was time to have a baby. We got pregnant the first time we tried. We were elated! The BHW and I ate, drank, slept, and talked about this baby. You could not have found two people who were happier. At 12 weeks the spotting began and when we went in for an ultrasound, there was no baby. Complete and utter devastation is the only way I can describe it. There was no reason. It was what is called a blighted ovum. The baby probably hadn't made it past 8 weeks and my body just didn't realize it yet. I was so sad, but we knew we wanted to try again. And so we did... for a year and a half. We continued to pray and began the fertility drug Chlomid. After one round, we were pregnant. I was happy, but was terrified. I didn't want to jinx myself, but I just couldn't be as happy as before. I was too scared. My doctor knew my fears and scheduled an ultrasound at 8 weeks. I was petrified to go in and they tell me there was no baby there, but we went in and the first thing we saw was a precious, perfect heartbeat and little peanut there. I cried...like a baby... tears of joy. I was still scared, but I knew that there was something. I had hope and I continued to pray like a mad woman. I took at least 2 pregnancy tests a week until I was almost 5 months pregnant. I just couldn't help it. I needed to know that it was o.k. and in my mind when that stick read positive, it was all o.k.
29 weeks
40 weeks
I was due on December 16th, but then it was pushed back to Dec. 23 as I measured small every visit. Well, Miss Jemma had her way and joined us on December 17th. I will never ever forget the BHW face when I was in labor and he looked up with his face glowing and said, "She has hair!" From the minute our daughter arrived, he was smitten beyond belief. I have never seen a man as wonderful with a baby as he was. She was the prettiest thing with full cheeks and sweet lips. I just looked at her for hours and couldn't get over that God blessed me with this tiny creature. She was perfect and we were a family. We have tried to have more babies, but suffered another miscarriage and many more rounds of drugs. I would love to have another baby, but we are a perfect family. If God blesses us with another child, I will be so happy, but if not, he gave me the most wonderful gift of all. My Jemma. And for that I am grateful everyday.
Thanks Heidi for hosting Wednesday Gratitude at Heart and Home and helping us to think about and write down what we are grateful for. It means a lot and I am so happy to take part.





Jemma is just about the cutest little girl ever! You are so lucky and I can tell she is pure joy for you and your husband. Thanks for sharing.
ReplyDeleteThese pics put a smile on my face :-D
ReplyDeleteOne Love,
Jowy
www.iseejanemary.blogspot.com
Oh Kathryn that was such a nice story to read, very touching! Jemma is a very special little girl. You looked awesome right up til 40 weeks. Like me, I loved being prego, felt the best I ever did in my life. I still miss that feeling of hiccups and a foot poking me in the middle of the night:) Have a great day!
ReplyDeleteKathryn...thank-you so much for sharing Jemma today--I love her name!
ReplyDeleteI have gone through some of what you described. You are so blessed and I am so happy for you!
Happy Gratitude Day!
love,kelee @ www.katillacshack.com
This is so touching, what a beautiful girl!!! Thank you for sharing this story with us all. It is so wonderful to hear that you lived in Germany for several years, so amazing to meet others who have had a similar experience as us! Also amazing that your in-laws lived in Lazise, Italy for a couple of years, living in Italy has completely changed my life. It is truly an adventure, and we are just sort of going where life takes us, so we will see what comes next. :) Following your blog now!
ReplyDeletexoxo
Rachel
Kathryn, what a great story of how Jemma came to be. I love her name. I have never heard it before. I hope you are blessed with another baby someday. I just found out the other day my daughter is pregnant. She goes to the doctor today. She saw a tech last week and is eight weeks along. I know she is nervous because she miscarried last May. I hope this one makes it. Keep her in your prayers. I can't wait to decorate the nursery.
ReplyDeleteHi Kathryn,
ReplyDeleteHow sweet that you shared your story with us. I love learning more about your life! Your daughter is really beautiful (it's not just the mom love talking!) That last picture is just precious.
I never thought I'd want to be a mom, and then all of a sudden it seemed like a good idea! I'm so, so glad I have my two girls. They are 7 years apart, and very close - best friends! I'm amazed by them almost every day! I love being their mother!
You ARE the Kathryn in my post, BTW!! Be sure to tell your husband! Thanks so much for linking up today, and for this great post!
XO
Heidi - Heart and Home
What an amazing story! That girl sure is a beauty and you do look wonderful pregnant!
ReplyDeleteLovely story Kathryn! And don't you look soooo cute with the short hair!!! Love the name Jemma!
ReplyDeleteEnjoyed your story! Love how you came up with her name, her very own name. She wears it well! A real Jem! Great photos of you too, you really did look good pregnant. It is easy to see how happy you were! Thanks for sharing!
ReplyDeleteSuch a sweet story :). Reminds me to hug my own sweet boys a bit closer to me tonight. I had a miscarriage between my two and it remains one of the most grieved times in my life. Thanks so much for sharing your joy with us all!
ReplyDeleteAwwwww, what a precious story !! And, what a beautiful baby girl (and mommy, too) !! I love the picture of her swinging, too. And, love your short fun haircut you had when you were pregnant. Thanks for stopping by ... I've been horrible about posting ... I've been working on my master bedroom and messing around with my great room, which I'll post in the next day or two. I hope you have a great day !! Hugs, Becca
ReplyDeletethanks for stopping by, and i am glad i started my morning with this sweet, sweet story. thanks for sharing with us.
ReplyDeletei hope you are enjoying charleston, i am from savannah and the two cities share much of the same charm. love her, she will love you back. i miss my savannah everyday and hope that i might get back there one day.
as for taking your breath away, that is one of my favorite quotes of all times. i have it written inside the door on my pantry to remind myself every day.