Saturday, March 27, 2010

Spring is in the Deep South when...

Everyone has beautiful posts on how spring is coming to their town.  


You are all delighted over your daffodils.


Awed by your azaleas.



Beaming over your buds.



But your know that spring has really come to the Deep South when the gators come out!!  We have several ponds in our lovely neighborhood and you know it is getting warmer when the gators start sunning themselves.  There are three definite guys that we know of.  Here they are for your viewing pleasure!  

This first guy is in the pond closest to our house.  He has grown a lot this year!  He is easily 3 to 4 feet.  We call him the medium guy.  Isn't he beautiful?  



This little guy lives a little further down the road.  He is around 3 feet and super fast!  BTW... I am not that close.  I have a really big zoom lens!  Even though I was probably a little closer than I should have been!


This is the big boy of the neighborhood and at the front!  No where near my house!  He is easily 7 1/2 to 8 feet.  He is amazingly large to be living near so many houses!  



I know they can eat people and animals and I know to stay away, but I do think they are amazingly beautiful creatures!  

Happy Spring Ya'll!

6 comments:

  1. Oh my!!! Exactly how close to your house are we talking?????? What does one do in the event of a run-in with a gator? Stand still or run????!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! I don't miss those guys! Coming from South Florida there where tons! I just remember run ZIG ZAG! Great pictures....and yes they are beautiful creatures indeed...but you look like an appetizer to them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now that brings back some great memories! My grandmother lived in Florida, and I can vividly remember watching the gators in her lake. I always thought it was the craziest thing, but all the locals thought it was no big deal. But the Fire Ants, those were the real terrors! Wonderful pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love all of your wonderful photos and I think I would be scared to death to have gators living near my house! I'm so glad you found my blog so that I could find yours!

    Kat :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. *Cringe* ~~shudder~~ "gulp" They give me the heebee-jeebees just to look at them! I remember well a few run-ins with them in FL. One guy lost an arm trying to retrieve an errant golf ball. We had one curl up in the entrance way of our front door...YUCK!
    Keep your distance & advise your DD to do the same. They like little people for breakfast!

    I'm glad to know you have a L-O-N-G distance lens!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is a sign of spring I could do without! They make me really nervous! Glad you are using a long range lens too! Whew!

    ReplyDelete