Friday, August 20, 2010

Busy week

This has been a busy week, but I wanted to show you a few highlights!

Last Friday night Jemma attempted her first sleep over.  Mind you, I said attempted!  She was so excited to go!  I was the one having a hard time.  She is my baby!  She isn't ready for sleepovers yet!!!  Not in my mind anyway!!!  She came in our room at 7:30 Friday morning with a backpack on and asked if she could go to Zoe's!  It was a long, but very exciting day for her!  We talked about all the things they were going to do and I tried to show how excited I was for her (even though my heart was breaking!  4... she is only 4!!!)  The time came and she packed her bag and paused for just a moment for me to get a picture!


Daddy walked her over


Two excited girls!


Sure is a long way away from home.  Don't you think?


I am proud to say that I did not cry!!!  And we totally took advantage and went downtown to eat at a highly rated restaurant called S.N.O.B (Slightly North of Broad).  I had a steak with a lump crab cake on top and the BHW had grilled fish with a yummy side of spinach and mushrooms wrapped in a potato pancake!  We finished it off with Sour Cream Apple Pie!  Yummy!

No sooner had we walked in the door around 11:00 and the phone rang.  I hate to admit it, but I was doing a small happy dance!  The thought of going to bed without her there was so weird.  She wanted to come home so the BHW trekked all the way across the street to bring our girl home!  She said she was a member of our family, not theirs and she just wasn't comfortable!  Oh well, we will try again!  Not in the near future probably, but maybe when she is 15 or something!  :-)

This week also brought our first gymnastics class.  Jemma informed us after ballet camp this year that she was retiring from ballet as she wanted to take gymnastics and learn how to do a somersault.  I am all for letting her try whatever she wants, so we signed up for an introductory class from the Little Gym.  I told her to check it out and if she liked it, we would sign up and if not, she could do ballet again.  From the minute she walked out there she had a smile on her face that did not go away.  She loved it and I will say that I am very impressed with the Little Gym.  They know what they are doing!  She danced out saying, "I am going to take gymnastics!"




Monkey girl!


She had told me that she wanted to do the uneven bars, but I told her that she would probably do that when she got bigger.  I was wrong!  They started out on the low one and in a few weeks they will let them swing on the high one!




She also said she wanted to do a somersault.  I informed her that you have to learn how to roll first.  I don't think a somersault is too far behind for this kid!

A little help from Miss Nicole


Then she was off!






It is official... we are retired from ballet!

She also decided this was the week to play on the computer.  She just hadn't shown a lot of interest before and would get frustrated with it, but when she sets her mind to it, there is no stopping her!  


I love this next shot.  This is what we see when we come in the office.  Just a little bitty head sticking up barely over the chair!


I hope you all have a wonderful weekend!

21 comments:

  1. Oh your little girl is such a cutie. Your story about gymnastics almost made me cry. My daughter who is now a mom of 2 toddlers, was in gymnastics from the time she was 7 till she turned 16. She loved it but after she made it to national competition, it took over her life and finally one day, she decided she did not want to give up her whole summer vacation again for daily priactices. So, she quit. But can you imagine how many competitions we have watched from all over the place? That smile on Jemma's face is so preicous....Christine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Busy indeed, but oh so cute too!!! I did gymnastics growing up and loved it..made me miss it! :) And oh how I love your daughter's red and white dress...so pretty!

    Thanks for stopping by my site and I'm so glad you liked the idea...I'll share more soon! :)

    Liesl :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. How cute. I knew she was coming back home to sleep. Glad she loves gymnastics. That will be such great exercise for her. Too many kids are not getting any exercise and are so over weight. Have a great weekend. I still haven't done the favors so tomorrow is the day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh gosh Kathryn this post brought back so many memories for me. I have a picture of Alex on his first sleepover....I was the same way, he never called to come home though:( and from there it never ended til he was about 11....now he likes to be home. Jack, he will sleep anywhere anytime, don't ask twice lol!!~ Jemma has gymnist written all over her! Loved this post. Have a great weekend. Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good for Jemma! That was a big step even if she didn't stay all night. My boys never stayed anywhere except Grandma & Grandpas house. Of course that was like home to them! They were in grade school before they actually asked and wanted to stay all night somewhere. Funny... I can't even remember when or where they went! Oh, how time flies!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So fast, isn't it. I have a ballet drop out, as soon as they wheeled in the Nutcracker costumes, she was outta there. When she asked to sign up for jazz class a few years later, I told her there was a recital at the end of the year and she had to finish that. She did, proud of her little moments. Now she is 22 back home and job hunting. How did that happen? Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This post is just darling!
    It is wonderful to see how
    you are savoring all of the
    moments of new independence
    for your sweet Jemma. The
    world is her oyster!!!
    I've been to SNOB in Charleston
    and it's delicious : ) At
    least you and your hubby got
    to sneak a date night in. I
    remember going to pick up our
    little four year-old from her first
    "attempt" at a sleepover...
    11 years ago! It really flies...
    so keep holding on to those
    precious moments.
    Big hugs,
    xx Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  8. Adorable... and.. that meal you described sounds delicious!!! I want a SNOB around here!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh so precious! Those sleepovers are tough on Mom's at any age! She made it a long time for her first night. I am so impressed with her thought process on that. She looks like she is going to be a great gymnast! Thanks for your kind comments of my post. Of course I consider you in my circle of friends. I so need to update that list as it is ever expanding! Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awwww, I was wondering how that went. I guess that's the best kind of sleepover then -- you plan for it, get all excited, pack your things, walk over with Daddy, hang out all night with your friend doing sleepover stuff, and then get tucked into your own bed. Sounds perfect to me. And I love that they were both barefoot. :-)

    Gymnastics -- woo hoo!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So cute! I love what she said when she came home from the sleepover! She is wise beyond her years! lol

    ReplyDelete
  12. She is an adorable, beautiful child. You are blessed!!! I remember how HARD it was to let the go....anywhere! Overnight, to school, to sports, you name it. I can still picture my son (now 42) at the age of 5 going off on a school bus to preschool!!!!!!!!!!!! BROKE MY HEART, mainly because it was so EASY for him. Have a great weekend. XO, Pinky

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks like you might have a future Olympian on your hands!! It's great that you're letting Jemma try out different activities.

    The non-sleepover sleepover turned out great for you -- free babysitting and a night out on the town!! ;-)

    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a sweetie! My now 9yo, with a count of 20 sleepovers this summer, was 6yo for her 1st sleepover and she did fine. I, on the other hand, still feel weird when either of my kids are out all night. Love of a mother :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. That was the cutest post ever!!! Her going on a sleepover across the street! haha!!! She is so gorgeous!! I love the houses in your neighborhood too!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Kathryn, sweet post! You're definitely going to have a difficult time with her going to kindergarten! When they called my oldest up to be with her kindergarten class, she was so excited she started to run up to be with her teacher & forgot to give me a hug! I remember it like it was yesterday --- and this week she started college! Time flies!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I do believe you have the cutest little gal I've ever seen!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Kathryn that is the sweetest story ever! How adorable is she wanting to be at home. *Smiles*

    ReplyDelete
  19. Kathryn,

    Well first I want to say...your new banner was my all time favorite shot of Jemma! To me that is a timeless picture!
    Then, this post on her first sleep over is adorable. I can only imagine how you, as mom must have felt (x 2)...to watch her go to the sleep over then for her to want to come home:) I love it!

    Also, I noticed on the back of BHW T-shirt is looks like it says something about "The Oregonian", have you guys been here? Its a great vacation spot.
    Oh and the sweatshirt on Blake...(don't shoot me, I'm just the messenger)...it was only 65 that day, typical Oregon you never know what you'll get:)
    Terry

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh dear Kathryn...Ok so now I'm laughing! For Pete's sake that's not "The Oregonian" on the back of BHW's shirt, its "The Original" or somthing like it!
    Oh silly me, my screen resolution wasn't very clear on that one:) But Oregon's still nice...just a little slow on the uptake:)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I forgot to thank you for your comment about loving Ireland. I haven't been there yet, but it's on my list of places to go :-) I have a feeling I'm going to love it too!! :-)

    Kelly

    ReplyDelete