Wednesday, August 25, 2010

The Four Legger

I have been thinking this week about what I am grateful for and here is one special family member that I am very grateful for...


Isn't she beautiful????  This is my four legger baby named Murphy.  We got her in July of 1998.  I have tons of pictures of her when she was a baby, but they are all film and in a box somewhere.  I will pull those out sometime and scan them.  She was just too cute for words!

We went to visit my dad at the horse sale where he works on Tuesday nights.  There was this sweet puppy there and once I held her I knew she was mine.  The BHW wasn't so sure, but after a few cuddles and some serious looking into each other's eyes, I watched him kiss the top of her head.  I looked at my dad and said, "Wrap her up, she is mine!"  She was all of 2.3 pounds and fit easily in my lap.  We got home and I was at Walmart at 2:30 am buying dog supplies!  I was so excited!  I got home and the BHW  had been killing the fleas that had been jumping off of her!  First night down... many to come!

The next morning, we decided she would quickly figure out how to pee on the puppy pad.  Well, she never did especially after she took a detour from the puppy pad to behind the dryer and promptly got stuck!  I took her to the vet that day where she was diagnosed with fleas, ringworm, and heart worms.  This free dog was already costing us quite a bit!  We were told she had some chihuahua in her and wouldn't grow to be more than 13 pounds.  Well... at 32 pounds now she is our precious, medium sized, four legger (as Jemma calls her) baby.

When we moved to Germany, people asked, "Are you going to take Murphy?"  Helllllloooooo.... would you ask someone if they were going to move their kids with them?!?  Of course we took her and what a time she had!!!  Where else could she go to restaurants with us?  Go into a dressing room with me while I try on clothes?  Ride on a water taxi in Venice?  She has been to France, Italy, Germany, and Switzerland!  How many dogs can say that?!?

Here she is visiting the World's Largest Cuckoo clock!


And a German castle where we spent many days walking through the trails!


Water taxi in Venice.  I don't think she is too sure about this one!



She was alway up for meeting new friends!  This little dog was all dressed for Carnival in Venice!  



This sweet girl was my best friend for most of our time in Europe.  Because of her, I would take off in the car, drive for a while, find a nice place to walk and off we would go.  She had to go out and I was the one to do it and in the process we found so many wonderful places.  

This is a picture of one of our last walks!  See the Black Forest behind us.  It was so lovely!


We would walk for any where from one to three hours a day through the fields by our house.  Tom and I would walk on the weekends, find a spot, sit and talk while Murphy would dig for mice or bones and just run and play.  I would walk through the week with my best German friend, Marina.  I really learned my German from her!  Murphy and Marina's dog, Kiara were best buds and would have fun running through the fields and going for a dip in the creek!


Here is Murphy in her most famous begging pose!  She is well known for this and could sit upright forever!





We moved back to the States and she was still my main motivation to go out, exercise and walk.  Since she was a puppy she slept in the bed with us.  She would always start off under the covers in the crook of my knee or back and then she would move to the top of the covers.  While in Germany, she hurt her back.  After crystals swung over her (very holistic vet in Germany!), acupuncture and laser therapy she was better, but suffers from her back going out from time to time.  We bought a new king bed in Michigan and she couldn't jump on or off the bed because it was so high so what do any good parents do?  They build a ramp!  The BHW built a wonderful ramp for our four legged baby with matching carpet and everything!  

Then... Jemma came.  



I am not going to say that we forgot about her, but I will say the walks definitely took a downward turn (especially in January and February in Michigan!).  I hate to even mention it, but on one of our first visits out to see friends with the baby and Murphy, we left without Murphy.  We figured it out before we were out of the driveway, but we did leave her.  I am blaming it on new baby, our dog, their dog,  their two kids and a flurry of activity before we left.  We have all been there.  Right?  :-)  



Murphy took little or no interest in Jemma until the food started falling from the high chair!  Then she was her best buddy.  Since hurting her back, Murphy doesn't like to be around kids. She is afraid they will hurt her back so she just avoided Jemma.  We taught Jemma from day one to always be gentle, and I am proud to say that Jemma has always been so sweet to her.  She even tells other people to stay away from her back because it hurts her and that she is "old and crotchety!"   


The look on Murphy's face hasn't changed very much!!


She tolerates the kisses


And they have come to a mutual love and understanding!




I am so grateful to have this dog in my life.  She has made me explore and exercise.  She has shown me nothing but unconditional love.  She is my snuggle buddy and always my friend.  Now she is showing Jemma how to be respectful to animals, care for a pet and love.  She has been with us for 12 years.  As she gets older, I know the day will come that she won't be with us and I have to say that it breaks my heart.  I can't imagine her not there to snarf down any food that we drop or to push my hand up when she needs a little love.  I can't even begin to think about those big brown eyes not looking at me with all the love in her doggie world.  

She is and always will be my first baby.
My Murphy.


I am linking up with Heidi at Heart and Home for Gratitude Wednesday!  Thanks Heidi for always making us stop to think about all the special things in life!

Also linking up to Debbiedoos Pet Party!



35 comments:

  1. Murphy is adorable!! Isn't it amazing how attached we can get to those animals????

    ReplyDelete
  2. O.K. making me cry here. What a sweet story about Murphy and the changes she has gone through. Cute photos especially the ones with Jemma. I hate to think of the day that I lose Bailey, too. She will be only three in October so I hope we have many years to come.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww....I love Murphy too. I never knew you had a dog:) THat pic of Jemma and Murphy looking at each other, they have some LOVE going!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lucky dog! (And mom.) She's been a very good friend.

    I think there is a special bond we have with dogs when we have them before kids; and I wonder if it's possible to have the same bond when we get them post-children.

    P.S. You DID have short hair!!! :-) Cute. I can only imagine how long it took to grow it out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kathryn,
    Thank you so much for putting into writing the love our sweet, furry friends bring into our lives. I couldn't have said it better myself!
    Terry

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Kathryn,
    Oh that is such a sweet love story to your Murphy! What a lucky dog, to have found you! She's really a part of your family, and a great friend, too.
    I'm still getting used to our little pooch, and it's been 3 years. My husband thinks she is his 3rd child. Looooves her. Me, not so much, but she hangs around me like I'm a goddess, so what can I do?!! I accept the adoration with grace...
    Thanks for the great post, and for linking up. I always love seeing the pics of Germany! Beautiful.
    XO
    Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my!!! that is just too sweet!!! I miss my dog so much! Those pics are just precious!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a remarkable post!
    I feel exactly the same about my three fur babies (two dogs and a cat) too.
    It sounds like Jemma is just wonderful with her, too.
    "My first baby"....now I'm bawling! :-)

    Hugs,
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  9. We lost our four legger, Cotton in March. Too hard to talk about still. I don't think I'll ever get another.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I truly enjoyed reading about your sweet Murphy, Kathryn, especially the part "she is "old and crotchety!" LOL Sounds a lot like somebody I know & love & live with. ;-)

    I cracked up at the 1st sleepover adventure. I've taken both Charlie AND Caroline back to their parents home in the middle of the night, several times. ~grin~ I think its very cool that your daughter & my granddaughter are so very much alike...right down to the gymnastics classes this summer. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this post! And what a great experience..your travels, with the dog!... She is a beautiful girl, and with your two beautiful girls together... Life is Good. :-)

    I know the pain of that loss, hopefully you have ways to go.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I loved reading every word of this post!! Murphy is so lucky you took her home from the horse sale that day, and you're so lucky to have her in your lives :-) She looks like a real sweetheart, even if she's gotten a bit old and crotchety ;-) Hey, don't we ALL get more crotchety the older we get?!

    I wish North America was as dog-friendly as Europe. When we were in Belgium & Luxembourg a few years ago, dogs (and cats too) were everywhere, even in restaurants. I bet Murphy had a great time being with you everywhere you went in Europe!!

    Pets really and truly are family members, and I couldn't imagine our home without them. Unfortunately, we've lost two cats and two dogs over the last couple of years, but we're a happy family of four now with our "four leggers", Jackson & Squirt :-)

    Virtual pats on the head to Murphy!!

    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are so blessed...I loved this post...i am a dog lover...They make our lives better, huh? I just got a frame for a our golden retriever, Jesse, who passed away that says Dogs are not our whole life..but they make our lives whole...:)

    we adopted another GR recently who has been such a blessing! And we have a chihuahua and maltese...:) Love them all!

    I want to personally invite you to Screaming Meme...I look forward to following your blog! Meme

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful post. From one dog lover to another...

    Jeannette

    ReplyDelete
  15. I just LOVE this post. Your relationship with Murphy reminds me so much of mine with Scout, my doxie-baby for the last 10+ years. It just breaks my heart to think of life without her one of these days as she is getting older and her health begins to decline. As my vet says, "Aging dogs are not for the faint of heart!" Thank you for sharing tales and photos of Murphy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh friend, you are singing my song. I still get choked up about little Matty whenever I think about him...miss that little guy.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This post made me teary! What a sweet story and a special friend. I feel the same way about our Sadie...we got her after kids, but she's definitely our 3rd child ;)

    Tks for the nice comments on my chairs!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a sweet post!! They look so cute together too. To answer your question about the centerpiece, some I take off. some I leave. That one, I took the basket off because the flowers were starting to fall everywhere, but I left the topiaries.

    ReplyDelete
  19. what a cute story and your daughter is just the cuteist they look like real good buds together:)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Our Duffy was the first "grand-dog" and was very much loved. The nieces and nephews would fight over who would get to take care of him when we went on vacation! He was with us 9 years before we had our son, so he was definitely our baby, much as Murphy was yours.... The day we brought Dan home from the hospital, we placed the car seat on the floor and Duffy went up to the baby, sniffed him, gave him a nice doggie kiss, and lay down beside him. He was with us for 7 more years. I loved reading your story- you brought back memories of our much loved four-legger.
    ~ Sue

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hello,

    you Post is very wonderful.I like so match jour fotos.And your gils is soooo sweet.

    have a nice day.

    greatings send you Conny

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thank you for sharing a beautiful story. We had a puppy who grew up with our children, we had Joe for 14 years and he blessed all of our lives. Your story took me back and reminded me of our time with him. Your pictures were great!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh Kathryn, what a sweet, sweet post! Jemma and Murphy are both so cute, love the pictures of them together....Christine

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a sweet tribute to your little critter. Sounds like Murphy has more memories than most pets! I loved seeing your changed look through the years too! So beautiful.
    xoxo,
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  25. Ahhh!!! Sorry so late getting back to you to comment. This is just so sweet a story! I love that cute last photo. Don't you just wish you could read Murphys thoughts? Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  26. What a nice post and what wonderful pictures and Murphy really is adorable!

    I know I've said it before, but your daughter is such a beautiful little girl and photographs so well...and you dress her in the most lovely outfits! :)

    I hope you are enjoying your Labor Day weekend fully and getting the chance to relax a little!

    Liesl :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Happy Tuesday!!

    What a wonderful post and what a sweet doggie! Thanks for sharing! I just ran through your last several posts and boy do you have a gorgeous daughter. She could be a model, truly! I love your blog, so sweet!

    Thanks for stopping by and for the nice comment. *smiles*

    Have a wonderful week! XOXO ~Liz

    ReplyDelete
  28. Big posts??? LOL! Girl you are so funny! I just wanted you to know I do appreciate your comments and advice too! I always love hearing from you! Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  29. What a sweet baby! She really has been through everything with you. I hate the thought of mine getting old. Their little lives are so short.
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  30. What a beautiful tribute!

    ReplyDelete
  31. So happy you shared Murphy again with us...great story...and It was nice for me to revisit a beautiful post. Thank you:) Debbie XXX000

    ReplyDelete
  32. wow, i am so jealous of all your travels. how wonderful, and that your sweet pup was with you along the way. the photo of your daughter eyeing murphy up is too funny! stopping by from debbie's party.

    ReplyDelete
  33. What a beautiful story!!! I have chill bumps and once again (this is my 3rd time today!) teared all up reading about your precious Murphy!

    ReplyDelete
  34. This is such a sweet post I got all teary.
    Traci

    ReplyDelete