Wednesday, August 11, 2010

My "First Photo Shoot"



Well, I am really, seriously trying my hand at this whole photography thing.  I am taking some more classes, trying to decide what post editing package to buy, and just taking lots of pictures.  Being as we live at the beach, I thought I would try my hand at it.  I haven't done any post processing on these except for some antique finishes so please bear with me.  My next class is a Photoshop class and I took these pictures to submit for the class!

There is something to be said for DIVA LIKE MODELS  who won't come when you call, look at you for more than 1/2 a second, sit in the sand soaking wet, throw sand in the wind which comes back and sticks to their face, and twirls and sings (o.k. the twirling and singing, I don't mind at all!).  I got more pictures of her backside than I did of her face!

With all that said though, I think I got some pretty shots!  I have to tell you... I showed her some pictures on the beautiful blog,  Flora Bella Collections and showed her the little girls.  Her work is exquisite.  I can only hope to be that good one day!  I just thought it would be neat for her to see how little models look.  I kept asking her to smile tonight and she told me, "Momma, I am looking like those other models looked and none of them were smiling."  Serves me right!

Let me just say that when I do a real shoot with "real" people, I will not threaten them with no dinner and no sprite at dinner.  I'm just saying...

Let me know what you think.  Really what you think.  I will not get my feelings hurt.  I just need to know if this is a look that people might like and buy!  I will take any tips and/or advice!







































Thanks for bearing with me through all the pictures.  I think this is something I would really like to do.  I just don't have a lot of confidence in myself.  I am lucky to have the BHW who has encouraged me to really go for it if I want to.  He is my biggest supporter and I am so grateful for him.  

So, let me know what you think!


29 comments:

  1. I LOVE the second to last photo, but with such beautiful scenery and a gorgeous little model it's hard not to take amazing photos! Good job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm no expert by a long shot! I would love to take a photography class just to figure out how to do the best shots!

    My person self is drawn to the images of her being natural and not where she is "posing" as much. However, they are all beautiful to me and with the beach as a background, the beautiful princess just shines!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You did a great job, those eyes!!!! Oh I know you love that girl :)!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kathryn, you are doing a wonderful job of photographing her. Of course how could you go wrong with a beautiful subject.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your little girl is adorable! It looks like she had a good time doing this. I can also imagine these pictures with a bride and groom in them... or children and animals. You're VERY good at this! You seem to have an artistic eye and talent for it.
    My father taught photography at a community college for years. He would LOVE these pictures. He always told us.. you can't have a tree growing out of someones head...you have to balance the person with the landscape... la la la:)
    You included everything you need to make a beautiful photo.
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are gorgeous...you are well on your way to photography expertise....I am going to take a course too, I would love to learn to take better pics...of course I see I have improved in the last year:) I like her natural shots better, when she is not looking...the one of her walking and looking down is my favorite....nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You've got some great shots - they are all beautiful! I think the very first one is my favorite. She is such a gorgeous little girl!

    Jeannette

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think you have some fabulous shots. Good luck! I have thought about doing photography too a few times. Play with your aperture more to see if you can get more blurry backgrounds with the focus on something else. I think that would have worked great with the picture of Jemma holding the starfish for the starfish being in focus and Jemma being more out of focus. Just a thought! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your photos - they are really beautiful! Love the header photo of your daughter.
    My favorite photos are #1,4,7 & 8!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just love your photography, I really do. It's fun to watch you chase this dream. Keep going, full steam ahead. I think you have a great talent.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What an exquisite child!!!!!!!!!! Your pictures are just gorgeous! I loved every single one of them, they should be published somewhere!!!!! You are GOOD! Thanks so much for sharing! XO, Pinky

    ReplyDelete
  12. Can't wait to see where you go with this .....
    The second to last picture is amazing!!!! I can see that one over the fireplace! I carry my camera everywhere these days and it's amazing how many things I wish I could stop the car and take a picture of each day.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Absolutely gorgeous, K.!! Your sweet model cracks me up with her comments. She is beautiful & I love every single photo you took, so I'm no help with advice on this subject. LOL Just keep clicking!

    ReplyDelete
  14. beautiful and even more gorgeous subject.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Just darling! You have the "eye" for capturing a moment (and an excellent subject to photograph!) The more natural shots are the ones making an emotional connection with me - photos 1,4,8,10 and 13.. Congrats on your new endeavour and for having the nest kind of love & support a wife could want - BHW...

    :D Lynda

    ReplyDelete
  16. Kathryn,
    I have had the same problem as you of it looking like I'm not following blogs. I think blogger made a change and you are still following but have to sign in on their site. At least that is what is happening with me.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hello,

    jou make soooo wunderful Fotos.Ilove the Fotographie to.

    greatings send you Conny

    the girl is soooo sweet

    ReplyDelete
  18. These are absolutely beautiful, and I take ALOT of pictures. It helps that your subject is stunning too... what a beautiful little girl. The beach, natural light, the elements of a beach are all great subjects...

    Great job! ... keep going...

    ReplyDelete
  19. Go for it girl! I think you definately have what it takes! If this is what your producing while you are still unsure of your skills just think how much better it will be when you gain more confidance with more classes and experience. Yes, I would buy these types of photos in a heartbeat. I like the photos of Jemma pouting too, those are so real! I have always admired your photos. Go for it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Well you just get some confidence!! These are great! I think they are gorgeous!! She is too pretty too!

    ReplyDelete
  21. OK Kathryn,
    First of all these are beautiful and (I'm being totally honest) you have a natural talent for photography. You have great composition and a great eye for "what the eye sees". When looking at the pictures, its like we are seeing what you are seeing not a photo taken with a camera lens.
    Second, your little girl is beautiful which makes the photos even better!
    Last (again honesty) I too tend to like the natural candid shots the best over the posed but its all a learning process so just try everything and "find your own style". Whatever you do, don't stop, you're too good at it!

    Now in answer to your question about the photo by Elizabeth Johnson of Emmie. She is a friend of mine and not a professional but she too has raw talent and a great camera! (I always like to give photo credits if someone else took the picture). The picture of Sissy in the white tissue paper was taken by me the a couple Christmases ago.
    Also, thank you for your sweet comments today about our little girls:) We do love them!
    Terry

    ReplyDelete
  22. PS I forgot (as if I wasn't wordy enough before!)
    the sixth photo down is one of my favorites, its just beautiful and Jem actually looks like Diva model in the making!
    Terry

    ReplyDelete
  23. These are absolutely beautiful!
    And your model is pretty gorgeous, too. :-)

    Go for it, I think you will do GREAT selling your photography. That's the next step for me, too.

    Hugs,
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  24. You got so many frameable pictures out of this! great post!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. BeAuTiFuL shots!!! You're lucky to have such a gorgeous model. I love the off-centeredness (is that a word?)of the model. Great backdrops too. You should have lots of confidence in your work...it's great!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Your pictures are wonderful! What a beautiful little girl you have!

    www.makingmemorieswithyourkids.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  27. Well what a first shoot it was for you...such beautiful pictures, Kathryn and your daughter is such a natural...what I love is that she is beautiful, but yet still her age, unlike what hollywood does to a lot of young ones...she is a true, natural beauty! Thank you for sharing your first photography pictures...can't wait to see more! :)

    Liesl :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love every single photo. But, I particularly like the one where you can see the lighthouse in the background; and the closeup with the sun on her face and her hair blowing. She's just lovely and I think you truly have a knack for photography. Can't wait to see more!

    ReplyDelete