This was last year's mantle. I dream of these big elaborate Biltmore style mantles and can never get it how I want it. I started with this...
and couldn't stand it. It had no umph... no punch. I scoured RMS for ideas and found a woman named Leanne who does magnificent mantles in grand homes. She was an inspiration so I added, moved and changed and got this...
I think adding the real greenery and the ornaments gave it more pizazz. It still isn't my heart stopping/take your breath away mantle, but it is getting there!
I want to start decorating but I just can't!! I have to wait until after Thanksgiving! I just can't do it before. I even tried to listen to some Christmas music while baking today and had to change it. It just isn't right!!! I am excited about decorating this year and hope to link up to several parties. There are so many going on and the first one is a mantle party on November 30! Yikes! I hope I can do it by then! So get ready... the holidays are coming!
I like the real greenery as well and think it gives if pizazz for sure! :) You are getting there for sure and I think it looks FABULOUS!!! I have to wait until after Thanksgiving too...that's my rule...hehe!
ReplyDeleteLiesl :)
Hallo
ReplyDeletethat is very lovly.
Yes i weet to.
greatings send you Conny
I know how you feel! I so want to get started too, but just can't do it...YET! I may jump the gun this year though after seeing all this inspiration in blogland. I have never gotten my mantle quite right either. You did a great on yours. Who's hosting the Nov.30th party? I will need to add it to my sidebar to remember as a note to myself. I am looking forward to all the holiday decorating hoopla around here too! Exciting!
ReplyDeleteI think I am getting into the mood....have even loaded some Christmas tunes on my IPod! But, not brave enough to start dragging out any boxes of decorations yet! LOL. Last year's mantle looks fabulous! I love the ornaments perched on the candlesticks...I have to try that. I don't have a mantle, but I decorate the top of my piano as if it were a mantle....just can't hang any stockings. But, I do garland, ribbons and lights woven through it, little feathered birds, lots of sprigs of berries. And now I have something new to try. Thanks for the inspiration!
ReplyDeleteLOL, stay strong, Kathryn! Enjoy the holiday that's coming before skipping to the next! :-)
ReplyDeleteI think your mantel from last year was lovely.
Last year's mantle was beautiful!!! Can't wait to see what you come up with this year :o)
ReplyDeleteKristen
First of all...can I just tell you how beautiful your daughter is??!!! That is a new pic in your header right? Darling! And, secondly, would you believe that we have those same stockings?? Well, at least, we have the angel one and maybe one of the other ones! Kindred spirits! I so get ya about mantel dilemmas. Yours was beautiful though! I see what other folks do and somehow mine just doesn't turn out right. I am really motivated this year though, because of all the great inspiration that is out there! We'll see how it goes!
ReplyDeleteThanks so much for your sweet comment on my post. We are all in this together as mommies and it is one HARD job! :-)
Vanessa
I agree, the second picture has a lot more oomph! I love the candlesticks holding the ornaments...great idea! I can't wait for Christmas too! Only a few more weeks til we can decorate!
ReplyDeleteYes, I know...
ReplyDeleteIt's important
to really FEEL it!
Have you ever had
a year when you
didn't....It's not
fun. Luckily that
is not my norm!!
Love how you punched
it up. Our mantel
is very long and deep
and ALWAYS a challenge.
I have to admit, even
after nine Christmases
here, I still haven't
hit the "perfect"
mantle-scape. But a
girl can dream : )!!
xx Suzanne
I hear ya....we're headed out of town for Tkgivig so I feel like I'm really going to miss the decorating "kick-off", but I'm not in the mood to start now either :)
ReplyDeleteLove your new header...again, your daughter is beautiful. Also, in your Halloween post, that scary santa would have scared the bejeebies out of my daughter!
Wow what a difference!! I am SO loving the fact that you are decorating already...if I had a house of my own I definitely would!!!!
ReplyDeletexoxoxo
Rachel
Jem is so beautiful! Love that picture on your header. Your mantel from last year looks so pretty, love the lights, makes it look so festive...Christine.
ReplyDeleteOK... your new header did take my breath away this time. You are getting really great with that camera and of course beautiful in house model!
ReplyDeleteVery nice :-) The real greenery looks great, and the ornaments displayed on candleholders is a great idea. If you don't mind a suggestion, I think the candleholders would look even better if they were different heights and grouped together - maybe a grouping of 5 at each end of your mantel (if you like symmetry), or one large group just off-center.
ReplyDeleteI usually start the Christmas decorating around December 1st. I might have to get started earlier this year so I'll be ready for the Christmas blog parties :-)
Have fun decorating this year's mantel - looking forward to what you come up with :-)
Kelly
C'mon! You can do it! Once November hits, it's not too early. But don't listen to me - I'm extremely bored with my surroundings at the moment and decorating for Christmas is an easy fix. I'm listening to Christmas music right now as a matter of fact. Your mantle looks great by the way - before and after.
ReplyDeletexoxo,
Kim
It does look really nice with the real greenery. I struggle too with my mantel, in fact I was thinking about it today. My husband said I can never move that old clock again...great now how to decorate around that thing!
ReplyDeleteI think your mantle (mantel sp?) looks lovely, Kathryn! Beautifully balanced & colorful.
ReplyDeleteWho is hosting the mantle party? I had not heard about it until now & I don't know about any other Christmas ones either. :( Guess I'm out of the loop. Been downstairs at the sewing machine too long. LOL
Thanks for your compliments on Ms. C's outfits. I really appreciated reading them.