Hi ya'll! I live in truly one of the most beautiful cities in America (so I think!!). There is so much history and beauty here that I want to share a little of that with you!
First up, the Angel Oak. This is on John's Island which is right down the road from us. I drove by it a thousand times last year and never thought about going. One Sunday as we were all out cruising around, I suggested it and off we went.
Oh my stars!!! It is amazing!!! I don't know why we never stopped, but we have been twice now in a month. It is truly magnificent! Here are some facts about this incredible live oak tree.
It is estimated to be between 300 and 400 years old.
It is 65 feet tall.
The circumference is 25 1/2 feet.
It provides 17,000 square feet of shade!
The length of the longest limb is 89 feet with a circumference of 11 1//4 feet.
It is named after the previous owners, Justin and Martha Angel.
Many of the limbs are held up with poles in the ground and there is an intricate pulley system holding branches up also.
We just enjoy how peaceful it is and Jemma loves to play around it. Her imaginations soars!
I will leave you with some pictures of this amazing place!
Enjoy your weekend! I am off to visit my BFF in Michigan! See you next week!
Happy Memorial Day!







Wow, that is one giant old tree. Thanks for sharing the history of it. Now show us some of those gorgeous homes in Charleston.
ReplyDeleteYour blog header is too cute...and I love the saying..one I have all over my house...
ReplyDeletewhat a truly amazing tree! I love trees, but this one is special.
ReplyDeleteLove dem big ole trees down thaya! LOL! Seriously, I love the picture with Jemma on one side of the tree and two other familys on the other sides also doing photos. Now that's one big tree! Enjoyed hearing the details too! Great post!
ReplyDeleteI agree 100%, Charleston is amazing!! Some day I'll be back for a visit!! Have a lovely trip!! Girlfriends rock!!
ReplyDeleteDear Kathryn,
ReplyDeleteThis is so beautifully amazing! Charleston is on my bucket list (along with much of the USA) and this will be a definite stop along the way.
Have a fantastic time with your BFF they are so precious to travel through life with us.
Also, in closing, thank you so much for your kind words this past week on my blog, its been a rough one but strange as it may sound, your comments have sort of kept it all in perspective!
Take care and will chat soon girlfriend!
Terry
Hi Kathryn,
ReplyDeleteOk so I have no idea what happend to my last comment (blogeshphere belch?) anyway I'll say again, I hope you had a wonderful Memorial holiday with your BFF.
I love the post on the Angel oak it is magnificent to say the least. In my comment that was lost I mentioned Charleston is on my bucket list and this lovely grand dame is in that visit.
I came across this webiste site while perusing blogland http://www.savetheangeloak.org/ and became concerned that it will not be there when the day comes I am able to visit.
I hope for evryone's sake this lovely old lady will still be there for another 400+ years. In the meantime thank you so much for sharing her...
My Best, Terry
I love CHarleston!~ Funny story here....we where at Battery park one year and my boys where having a blast climbing some of the trees.....some stranger actually went up to them and starting yelling that they could break the trees.....is there a rule there against climbing them? Love that place!
ReplyDeleteHey there !! How are you ?! Thanks for coming to *visit* me and leaving me such a sweet note. :-) I love the pics of the beautiful tree (and your PRECIOUS daughter is the perfect accessory for it, too) !! Don't you just love Charleston? So, what color paint did you decide on (I'm a fan of Camelback, myself) ... and please post pics of your newly white bookcase !! Hugs, Becca
ReplyDeleteWhoa! THat is one ginormous tree! Not until those last few pics did I get a sense for how truly large it really is! Isn't nature amazing? The way those limbs grow out like that and the sheer size of them! God is awesome!
ReplyDeletexoxo,
Kim
What an awesome thing to know that tree has been there that long. A piece of history. I would love to go there and also want to see the historic homes!
ReplyDeleteLove the new picture of Jemma!!
Miss you! Hope all is well and you are enjoying the summer break w/your sweet Jemma! Keep us updated when you get a chance okay? Always love hearing from you!
ReplyDeleteWhoa that is one really big tree :D
ReplyDeleteXoxo
Sarah
What a beautiful tree!!!... I love trees, always have... and this one is incredible.
ReplyDelete