Thursday, May 20, 2010

Mark this down...

My darling daughter has been fighting us when going to bed recently.  I mean, we must be awful parents to  not let her stay up until 11:00.  Right?!?  She is exhausted, but fights it like a she cat!

Tonight we were outside before bedtime and she was on a nature walk with her navigation guide and walking stick.  She informed us that she needed to go north down the rocky path east.  I told her it was time to come in and get ready for bed.  Let the negotiations begin!!!!  I swear, she should be a lawyer!  She had to go north because her navigation guide said so blah, blah, blah...  I told her she could have ten more minutes outside and no stories or go in, snuggle up and have stories.  She picked nature trekking.  So we took off north.

We walked the cul-de-sac a few times and the ten minutes was up.  She proceeded to throw a super fit and started running from me!!!  Of course, a neighbor is out and watching it all.  She can never do this in the privacy of our own home...oh wait!  Yes she does!!!  I took the dog in the house, went back out and brought her in.  She is of course yelling that I am hurting her.  I am trying to walk her in by the arm, and it is hard to pick her up with my hurt wrist so I am lifting, dragging, lifting and dragging.  She is like a dog scooting her bum across the yard yelling, "Don't spank me!!!"  Great.  DHS should show up at any time!

I finally scoop her up like a sack of potatoes in my good arm and in the house we go wailing and flailing.  I sit down, put her over my knee, and give her two decent whacks.  She sits up and screams.  At the top of her lungs.  Over and over and over and over.  Then she screams some more.  The BHW is staring at us like we have lost our minds.  I just sit there rocking.  When she gets herself together, we give her some water and clean up her face and snot.  She sits on my lap facing me and just stares right at me and says, "When I am a mommy, I am going to let my kids stay up until 80 40 (this is Jemma time by the way), no, no, no... I am going to let them stay up until MIDNIGHT!"

"I am going to let them play out in the front and go in the road if they want to.  I will watch them.  And they can stay up until midnight.  I am serious, Mama."

"I know you are serious, Jemma.  When you have babies, you can do whatever you want."

"I will because I am going to have two, no three babies and they can stay up until midnight."

"All right darling.  Now I am your mommy and it is time to go to bed."

"Ok, but it will be different when I have babies."

This is brilliant!!!  I had to write this down, and I look forward to the day she has a four year old!!!!!!  Wooo hoooo!!!  You know what they say about paybacks!!!!

Seriously, can you believe this stuff comes from a face this sweet?!?


I love this little girl so much that I can't even begin to tell you.  She is my heart.  Sass and all...

11 comments:

  1. Oh yes...I relived your drama outdoors, that is always fun right...where you sweating too? The good thing Kathryn she will grow up and all this will seem like a blurr. At least you did not bite her LOL!~ Maybe you should have hilarious! She is a sweetie. I know you want that bag I hope you bring your good energy to the table Monday night.....that would be a trip if your name comes up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing and I can only imagine now, but I know how difficult being a parent is!

    I had to giggle when I read the "when I am a mommy..." bit because I think I used that once or twice growing up.

    However, there is no way I would allow what I said I would as a kid, now as an adult...when and if I have kids...things come full circle and mother's are usually always right! :)

    Liesl :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keep it up. We were the most strick parent's in our whole town. As our kids would say. But we ended up with some of the best kid's in town!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yes, the mother's curse!!! I didn't really have this problem but I have boys. I think the girls are harder to raise because they are so emotional! Just like us girls!! My only advice is to keep it consistent so she knows you mean business EVERY time! That is what I have learned from raising my two kids and now they are pretty decent teenagers!! Also a lot of help from Dr. Dobson and Focus on the Family!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read that Mrs.Debbie! Careful now, I just might still have some bite left in me. LOL! Kathryn, I'm so happy to see you writing these real life moments. I certainly hope this is something that you will be able to retain for Jemma to look back on when she's older. That will be a hoot! As for the little scene last night, OMG, she is working it! You may have a starlett on your hands! Too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well oh my goodness sakes! This put my day into complete perspective and I am no longer whining about my drudgery that I call a job! This little girl has one amazing mom to love such fiestyness (is that a word?) and to still have enough umffff to blog about it! I love it!
    You are wonderful my friend!
    Terry

    ReplyDelete
  7. Odd my post didn't "stick" for some reason so I'll just say it again. You are such a lucky mom to have such a fiesty little girl, she will be powerful beyond measure when she gets "to be a mommy". I love this story of bedtime, its adorable
    Oh and as for the little Western Tanager in my yard, we were just lucky, its only the 3rd one I've seen.
    Not so lucky to have a bald eagle visit though unless you count the big turkey vulture that was pretending to be one!
    Glad you are in blog-land!
    Terry

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear friend Kathryn,
    I wanted to post this on your blog (even though I've blathered on a couple of times already here) so you would be sure and see it. First let me say; this joyful little story was so adorable I made my husband sit down so I could read it aloud to him and he got quite a kick out of it!
    Most of all I wanted to say thank you for your kindness on my "Respect" post.
    I so agree with everything you said. I have two grandson's ages 6 and 4 and the one thing they can recite to us by memory is what we as grandparents have taught them about respect. We have taught those two little guys about why they need to behave and be respectful: They can recite this verbatum; "because we are raising men, not just boys". Hopefully as they grow up, they will remember this and become the men our sweet husbands are as you said.
    I'll say it again, thank you for your sweet post. It was a pretty difficult day yesterday and it meant a lot to me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This grandmother is sitting here laughing & laughing, remembering just the same scenario & YES, it all comes back to them. One of joys in life is seeing your kids trying to raise their own. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Kathryn,
    Well, you do have a spirited little one, that's for sure. Which is a good thing, but can also be difficult because they are just so darned stubborn, right? I know, I have one just like that. I learned how to phrase things just the right way, because she didn't like to be told to do things. (still doesn't - she's 14 now!). The eldest (20) was so easy that now I worry a bit, I don't want her to think she always has to please everyone all the time, that's a thankless position to be in!
    Well, in time your daughter's bedtime tantrums will stop, and she'll be on to something else! There are all kinds of books with advice on how to handle these types of situations, but I think it's hit or miss....so good luck tonight!!
    Thanks for stopping by earlier. Have a great week.
    XO
    Heidi - Heart and Home

    ReplyDelete
  11. Kathryn she is really beautiful! You are a blessed Mom. So sorry about the bad night. I hated to go to bed early as a child and I still remember fighting it. I am an extreme night owl. Maybe she will grow up to be the same way.

    Thanks for you input on my latest post sweet friend. I really do appreciate that.

    I hope your wrist is getting better now. That must hurt. Yikes! ~Melissa :)

    ReplyDelete